Hi Everyone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

act

Car
clk320, sl320
A quick overview of the vehicle purchased.
Might have made a mistake !?
Purchased a 212 e220 Cabriolet with a replacement engine. Sounded awful and engine light on. No reverse detent (Yes its a manual and I know the thought of them on the forum. But it was cheap !) and vacuum pipes hanging off everywhere. Ah a nice project I thought. Straight body and the roof works ! Its only an engine after all. Worked on them before. Sorted my SL129 OK, how different can this be !

I know theres a lot of clever people on this forum so please be prepared for questions galore.
Changed gearbox and Dual mass and thats Ok now. Thats just spanners and wrenches so no problem there.
Been swotting up on Bi Turbo's and this Egr thingy and I think I understand the principles but the practical side is a mystery.
All the Vac pipes have been fitted ( I think they are correct) and vac switches and transducers tested and changed where needed. Car Idles much better and drives okish albeit sluggish, and theres a feeling of a 'missfire' especially when cold ( it looks like all the injectors have been changed recently as there were some injector test result papers in the boot). I am assuming the 'missfire' is poor fuel delivery from the random information to the ecu. Engine light keeps occuring with various errors, mainly boost related. Cruise control works OK too. You will see my surprise on that from the following.

Plugged the scanner in and have some really funny stuff happening. On idle of 812rpm I have air flow through the MAF of around 8.8g/s, the absolute throttle shows 48%, Commanded throttle 49%, Accelerator pedal (both) 4.7%, 4.7%, equivalence ratio of 2.00, whatever that means, and a calculated load of 13.7%. How on earth is it idling and driving !
I have noticed that the wastegate vac unit is also engaged on idle (rod pulled in). Could this be the cause (of the large air flow) or the symptom of something else ? Or is it normal, ie the wastegate defaults to open if vacuum fails so it correct to hold it closed on idle ?

Car took ages to warm up so I changed the thermostat and thats much quicker, but, now shows the dreaded fuel filter housing leak. Yet another thing ordered.
Changed charge air pipes, inlet temp sensor which was held in by zip ties, inlet map sensor and throttle valve but no change to the readings of performance.

It seems everything was just transfered from the old engine onto the new one with out any replacements at all, even noisy idle wheels on the belt. makes no sense to me.

Anybody have any ides on a logical steps for the forward ?
My current scanner is able to read all the sensors ( Y93, Y133, Y31/4, MAF and MAP,s etc) but not activate them. I am still not sure what I am looking for with all the readings to be honest.
I do not have Star scanner yet but its on its way.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any pointers or advice, further reading etc gratefully received.

Now thats an introduction.

Oh and a Happy Xmas to all.

welcome, get stuck in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom