Hi from a Brit in a Japanese Car in Germany :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This might sound a daft question, but are you sure it was the V6 with the 7G? What MY was it?

I only say that because you should be able to use the tip function up-to 6th gear?

What's the bhp of your Legnum?

There definitely sounds something wrong with the one you've test driven.

Lee, stock it's 256 and uses two td03 tubos, one per bank, to spin up quickly but they do run out of puff early. Mind you you still get a shove at 100mph+! I've spent considerable time and money on it and although it's never been dyno'd a conservative estimate would be 300bhp and 400Nm+ of torque, all through a trick 4WD system borrowed from the Evo 4. There have been a number of surprised Porsche drivers and even a Maserati in January becuase they dismiss the crappy Jap estate.
Standard specs are here for anyone interested : Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia just

I don't expect the Merc to be a match for the VR-4 but it just didn't inspire me. I've always loved having something that is different and I do take advantage of the power at every set of traffic lights. My SAAB 9000 Aero had more life to it for sure and that was a luxo-barge as well, although the drive was at the wrong end of the car! Like I say, perhaps another test drive in better conditions would help.

Last edited:
Lee,

I genuinely think there was something wrong with the one that you test drove because in third, fourth and fifth gears these cars are rapid. Even more so with the Brabus box.

I didn't get much chance to push it due to the traffic so it may have been fine and I just didn't know how to take advantage of it with the dealer sat behind me. :)

I wondered what took you so long....;)

I missed this thread completely - too much time on xhamster ;).

Hello BeastLee,

A modded rod with twin turbo's and a conservative 300bhp, 5.5 0-60, is always going to be a hard act to follow, particularly with a 224bhp diesel.

I didn't get much chance to push it due to the traffic so it may have been fine and I just didn't know how to take advantage of it with the dealer sat behind me. :)

On your next test drive, give it some hammer and if the says anything, shrug your shoulders and say that you don't understand the lingo. :D

Does it have to be a Mercedes?

Audi S4 avant - its an estate and does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds if it's the 2.7 biturbo, the 4.2 V8 is even quicker

Haris,

I've already had to discount the S4 and S6, actually I started this crusade looking for an RS6, due to the insurers here only offering a €1000 excess on ANY claim, including windscreen! They are very popular for theives in Germany.
Due to the ever increasing price of petrol I need to be sensible about spending 10K on a car that in 4 years time will be unsalable otherwise I would be buying an E55K or the RS6.
It doesn't have to be a Merc but Heidi likes them and I like the load capacity the E class offers. We will be fitting a towbar to it too so we can tow Heidi's car to shows and the Nürburgring, etc. which means the torque of the diesel will be useful.

Hi all, just wanted to let you know I defected to the BMW camp. I picked up a 54 plate 535d Touring M-Sport for a great price in as new condition. If there had been a UK E400 I imagine it may have been different but the E61 just seems more sporty and more like a driver's car to me.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out during my short stay. You never know, I may return for my next car.

You don't have to stay away. Even BMW owners are welcome here.

OK, maybe not welcomed, but certainly tolerated.

Sometimes.

;) Well done on your purchase - great choice.

Thanks. I'm sure you'll see me from time to time as I run the local Motor Club so may need advice for members. I promise not to talk BMW :)

Don't worry Lee, good taste comes with age; you'll be in a Mercedes before you know it....:D

6.5 years later I can say hi again, and from the UK too. The 535d went to my wife in April last year as it was still a great car but I wanted something different. I bought an E70 X5 40d that was nothing but trouble and then got a new job that made the 25mpg a little expensive on an 80 mile round trip!

I recently traded it in for a 64 plate C250 CDI Estate in Sport Premium Plus spec. It has issues such as active bonnet malfunction, parktronic failure and an intermittent touchpad but the garage (non-Mercedes) is getting this all looked at. Otherwise it's a great drive and returning 45-52mpg makes it easier on the pocket.
20180331_113648_small.jpg

I spent a lot of time learning to code BMWs and had hoped to transfer this to MB but it looks like they have made it far more difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom