Hi from a new member wondering where to start with 450slc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fidd

Car
450slc 1977
Good morning MB owners.

I’m not only a new member to the forum but to the world of Mercedes-Benz.

Our family has a 1977 450 slc that used to belong to a deceased relative, it has been stored in a garage covered over for probably 10 years without much attention at all.

I personally think it’s about time it saw the tarmac again, I am more than capable of dealing with projects similar to this but am also aware that you always benefit from listening to experts before lifting a spanner.

Has anyone had much experience with SL’s or SLC’s C/R107’s and know of any common issues or areas of concern.

Thanks

Welcome, am afraid I will be of no use to you but there are plenty of very knowledgeable people on the forum who I am sure will give you sound advice. Might be that if you don't get much response you will have to start a new thread under one of the technical sections, engine etc.

First thing is to drain the tank of old fuel before you attempt to start it. I've woken up maybe 10 SL's and SLC's and that's the biggest mistake someone can make.

Inspect and replace all the fuel lines and the fuel pump which will likely be seized.

After you figure out the fuel, move on to belts and brake hoses.

Sub frame mounts will also be toast.

These are super easy cars to work on. Get cracking and report back on individual issues. We'll be here to help.

Personally, I think it is too big a job and you should give it to me - I'll even pay to get it picked up.....:eek:;):rolleyes:o_O

You are a lucky man and I do hope you will take pics as the work progresses

Ooooo, any pictures??
Oh sorry.... welcome....:)

Welcome.
Check the bulkhead for corrosion, if it’s badly rusted it will be an expensive fix.
Hopefully it isn’t, and you have an “easy” refurb

It was already 30 years old when stored so corrosion could well be a problem (it's typically not obvious on these cars). Fingers crossed it's a good 'un though.

Had one for about 3 years a good while back. Lovely drive; went all the way to the south of France twice in it with 2 kids! As said Fuel and fuel lines , Belts and oil/filter change. Biggest issue tends to be rust to which I think they were rather prone (arches,sills etc) good luck. Post some pictures it might be mine!

Hi and welcome. Sorry to seem negative, but the tyres will be shot. Good luck getting the old bird flying again.

A couple of mine for inspiration:

DSC00641.sized[1].jpg

IMGP0278.sized[1].jpg

obj696geo935pg51p6.png

obj1615geo953pg51p6.png

obj1624geo963pg51p6.png

obj720geo960pg51p6.png

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think I will take the fuel advise before any attempt to start it up (although it was started 12 months ago to put it on the recovery vehicle for its journey up north). This will be followed by a good engine service.

A bit of online searching discovered the last Mot pass was 2009 with the following advisory’s.

• Nearside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • Offside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • Fuel pipe/s corroded
  • Oil leak
They would all be a good start, it did also fail its first attempt at this Mot with the following.

• Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
  • Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
One can only assume these were repaired in the days between tests.

The next time the cover comes off I will be sure to get some pics to post.

Thanks again guys for the welcome and advise.

What a great car, got to be worth the effort to get it back on the road. Good luck

That looks definitely worth saving !!

They all need welding at some point, might as well be now :)

Nice looking car. I've seen people mask number plates off cars. I've never seen anyone mask the entire background!

Lovely car , and the model I recall Setright stating to be the best in the range .

I'd forgotten how much the interior shared with the W116 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom