Hi from a Newbie ....With request on SLK info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ClockTower Stev

Hi all
I'm already a an owner of a very nice E Class. But the good lady is now wanting her own. An SLK . I was told from a friend from SELOC this is the best place to get advice on buying another car ......
So what are the do's & don'ts on an SLK & what should I be looking for ?
I'm after a 03 to 06 plate . Is there any model to avoid ? or ones to look for ?
Many thanks
Steve & Jacki

TIA

Last edited:
Welcome Steve, Them what knows will be along soon. Probably all enjoying a spot of sun at the mo.

Hi Steve, and welcome. I can't claim to be any sort of expert on SLK's, but I did do a bit of research prior to deciding to buy a new SLK 350.

Thinks to consider:
  • The R171 model (from late 2004) is a nicer car than the R170 and should not suffer any rust problems
  • The 200 Kompressor provides a good balance of performance and economy, but if you're after something that is genuinely quick then you should be looking at a 280 or, better, a 350 (I'm guessing that a 55 AMG isn't on the shopping list!)
  • There are (relatively) lots of "poverty spec" 200K's about, with the 280's and especially the 350's attracting the higher spec's but being much rarer
  • Regardless of engine, the minimum options I'd recommend are:
    • Auto, because it suits the car better than manual
    • Parktronic, because you can't see the nose or the corners of the car from the driver's seat
    • Leather (not many without, in all honesty)
    • Airscarf (a brilliant invention, and only available with heated seats)
    • Memory seats unless you and Jacki can swap over without moving seat / mirrors / etc
  • Sports Suspension & 18" wheels improve the handling but at the expense of ride comfort, so try before you buy (we swapped from a MINI Cooper S with Sports Suspension and 17" runflats so the 18's and Sports Suspension on the SLK give quite a "plush" ride by comparison :crazy: )
Remember that the earlier 280's & 350's are > 225g/km and therefore in the £415 tax band; only the very latest ones are under that threshold. As always, good cars with a good spec go quickly so prepare to move fast but watch out for what's due at the next service (use this site to check) as lots of people sell just before a big-ticket service is due.

Hi Steve, and welcome. I can't claim to be any sort of expert on SLK's, but I did do a bit of research prior to deciding to buy a new SLK 350.

Thinks to consider:
  • The R171 model (from late 2004) is a nicer car than the R170 and should not suffer any rust problems
  • The 200 Kompressor provides a good balance of performance and economy, but if you're after something that is genuinely quick then you should be looking at a 280 or, better, a 350 (I'm guessing that a 55 AMG isn't on the shopping list!)
  • There are (relatively) lots of "poverty spec" 200K's about, with the 280's and especially the 350's attracting the higher spec's but being much rarer
  • Regardless of engine, the minimum options I'd recommend are:
    • Auto, because it suits the car better than manual
    • Parktronic, because you can't see the nose or the corners of the car from the driver's seat
    • Leather (not many without, in all honesty)
    • Airscarf (a brilliant invention, and only available with heated seats)
    • Memory seats unless you and Jacki can swap over without moving seat / mirrors / etc
  • Sports Suspension & 18" wheels improve the handling but at the expense of ride comfort, so try before you buy (we swapped from a MINI Cooper S with Sports Suspension and 17" runflats so the 18's and Sports Suspension on the SLK give quite a "plush" ride by comparison :crazy: )
Remember that the earlier 280's & 350's are > 225g/km and therefore in the £415 tax band; only the very latest ones are under that threshold. As always, good cars with a good spec go quickly so prepare to move fast but watch out for what's due at the next service (use this site to check) as lots of people sell just before a big-ticket service is due.
Thanks Phil, you certainly have been very helpful. Will keep in touch. Jackie has fallen for a SLK 230, low milage, just out of the box, 39 miles passed its service! The car is in the main dealers today, believe it's a 'A' service, will let you know. The garage will pay, checked the spanner on the dash, salesman unaware the car needed a service. You will pleased to know the car is Hi Spec. loads of toys.

Once again'

Thank you

Steve

Don't forget to post up some pictures :)

yeah me too.. would love to see some pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom