Hi from MarcusTheHat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarcusTheHat

Car
1999 461 Steyr Puch "G" Wagen Van
Owned a couple of older superbly engineered diesel "G" Wagens, incl a 1999 RHD 461 Steyr Puch Van, which is still loved and used as an ultra reliable, backstop vehicle.
We are both retired and dont do big miles, other than the odd 200 mile round trip to Donegal for lunch somewhere nice.
Looking for an older MB as a daily driver, thinking automatic and diesel.
Not interested in performance, BUT! nor do I want another 617 powered slug.
I understand MB went through a "less-than-MB-reliable" patch a few years back.
Thinking probably E class, for dogs an the wifes assorted clag.
Thoughts?
please
Marcus

Welcome, a w211 Eclass 2007/8 would be my recommendation , had one and loved it

Hello and welcome

Hmmm . . .
Well seeing as I pulled out the 1989 617 engined slug of a LWB "G" Wagen, which was parked up in a shed for 12 years,
and with almost no effort got it MOT'ed. (A new battery, fettled the brakes and a numberplate bulb was it).
This in order to take it to the G Wagen Register meet in Dublin this past weekend, to attempt to sell it, in this 40th Anniversery year.
I drove the Steyr Puch 461 van towing the wee red "G" for the offroading on Sunday, while our daughter leapt at the opportunity to drive the 1989 460 "G",
But do you know what, in the week or so I drove her about prior to this weekend meeting, I think I have fell in love again!
Why spend £20 to 25k on a depreciating asset, when 5-10k will re-engine the 1989 460 and pay for a total re-spray, and be good for another 30 years.
A lovely thing to sit in, and even drive, albeit at a slower pace.
But what engine, most advocate the mechanical inline IP equipped 606,
However a very knowledgable bloke, suggested to wait for a 270 CDI with a "standalone" ECU, which he reckons is "just-round-the-corner".
Or is that like the "just-around-the-corner" Nuclear Fusion process?
Marcus, theHat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom