Hi....future E63 W212 owner here saying "Hello!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ALFAitalia

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 ALFA 159 2.0 JTDM, Merc A170 (W169), Merc CLK 200K (C209) gone, 1999 Merc SLK 230K (R170) gone.
Hi....just thought I'd say hello. I'm an active member on the ALFA forums but I'm looking into replacing my super reliable but high miles 159 with an E63 W212 shape.....a very slim chance it might be a W204 C63 but Ideally I'd like more interior space. I've been a member over on MBWorld for a while....as the AMG section seems a bit more active over there.....probably because its a US based site and fuel is so cheap over there more can afford to run a thirsty V8 in the states! I've been looking at E63 models for sale and to be honest I'm just waiting for the right car.....at the "right price". I've seen a couple at the right price but TBH too many are trying to take advantage of the current super high used car prices and although I have noticed a small drop in E63 prices recently they need to get more back to "normal" before I depart with my cash!....I have access to Glasses Guide through my job......most of my cars ( I've had about 40 in my 37 years driving) have been bought at somewhere near trade price (I'm tight and like a deal!)....so paying way over dealer retail is not going to happen....people paying those prices are going to lose a fortune in a few months!
Hopefully I will be useful around here...as said I have Glasses Guide so if you need a price just ask.....although I sell caravans for a living I was sales manager at a VW Audi dealer for about 14 years and a mechanic before that so hopefully will have some useful contributions to give. So Hi!...to everyone especially if you recognise my user name from other forums I frequent. I certainly will be asking for help when I get the E63.....I've owned a couple of Mercs and my wife has an A Class now and she had an SLK 230K before that....so I'm not completely lacking in knowledge....just never had a AMG...cant wait!!!

Welcome and good luck with the future purchase 👍 absolutely awesome car, you definitely won't be disappointed.

I know the value of my 212 E63 has dropped a few thousand in the last few months, so you're right that they're on the way back down again...

Welcome. The amg section is fairly active as is the whole forum so I'm sure you will find it helpful. Good luck in your search, they are fantastic cars

Welcome and goodluck with your search 😊

Willkommen / benvenuto :thumb:

Lights match. Stands back…

So what you going for?

The M156 6.2 NA or the M157 5.5 TT?
LOL.....yes I've noted that discussion causes quite a lot of heated debate around here and since I'm the newbie with only a handful of posts (8600 on the ALFA forum though ...so I'll catch up!) I'm going to be diplomatic.....but truthful!. Honestly I don't really mind. I have driven both and my 2 pence is as follows. The 6.2 has a much nicer sound, screaming revs and a more instantaneous throttle feel......but its older tech, drinks more juice. The 5.5 has amazing midrange torque and that makes the whole car feel "lighter". Originally It was going to be the 6.2 because of the history of the engine....first 100% AMG engine etc and of cause you wont get any opportunities to buy a new NA big bore V8 anymore due to emissions regs etc. But the turbo is an amazing lump too. I've not even really decided on PLF or FL.....I've always preferred the PFL styling (especially the rear arches!).....but the FL has grown on me the more I've seen. To start with I thought my budget would mean a 6.2....but now there seems to be very little difference in price between a 6.2 and 5.5....especially if you stick to PLF.....but that comes with its own problems as the early 5.5 has the timing chain problems to sort....but then you have the head bolt and follower issues with the 6.2.....neither are perfect. So there you go....diplomatic enough!!??
Bottom line is that I would be more than happy to have either on the drive.....especially as I have no desire to tune either one. I've had fast-ish cars before and anyone who really says they need more than 550 horses on the road in this country is just involved in a **** swinging competition.....IMO of course!

Hi....just thought I'd say hello. I'm an active member on the ALFA forums but I'm looking into replacing my super reliable but high miles 159 with an E63 W212 shape.....a very slim chance it might be a W204 C63 but Ideally I'd like more interior space. I've been a member over on MBWorld for a while....as the AMG section seems a bit more active over there.....probably because its a US based site and fuel is so cheap over there more can afford to run a thirsty V8 in the states! I've been looking at E63 models for sale and to be honest I'm just waiting for the right car.....at the "right price". I've seen a couple at the right price but TBH too many are trying to take advantage of the current super high used car prices and although I have noticed a small drop in E63 prices recently they need to get more back to "normal" before I depart with my cash!....I have access to Glasses Guide through my job......most of my cars ( I've had about 40 in my 37 years driving) have been bought at somewhere near trade price (I'm tight and like a deal!)....so paying way over dealer retail is not going to happen....people paying those prices are going to lose a fortune in a few months!
Hopefully I will be useful around here...as said I have Glasses Guide so if you need a price just ask.....although I sell caravans for a living I was sales manager at a VW Audi dealer for about 14 years and a mechanic before that so hopefully will have some useful contributions to give. So Hi!...to everyone especially if you recognise my user name from other forums I frequent. I certainly will be asking for help when I get the E63.....I've owned a couple of Mercs and my wife has an A Class now and she had an SLK 230K before that....so I'm not completely lacking in knowledge....just never had a AMG...cant wait!!!
Welcome! I wonder if I may take up your kind offer of price checking? I am contemplating swapping my 2018 GLC 350d for an AMG GLC43 Premium Plus, say 2018/19 with 25K miles. Offerings on AT and elsewhere show prices of £39K and up. What sort of target price should I be looking for?

£39000 seems cheap!

Step 2: Select Vehicle
s0558380.jpg

Model Availability
10/2019 - open
2019, Mercedes-Benz, GLC-Class, 3.0 (390ps) GLC AMG 43 Premium Plus Coupe 4d 4MATIC AMG Speedshift TCT
Automatic transmission, 9 speed, Coupe, Petrol, 4 wheel drive permanent, 2996cc, 240.0 g/km, G/C: RDLQ, N/C: 298514001, V-ID: 751820
Date of Registration: 01/09/2019
List Price: £57,630 ▼

Glass's Trade
£46,270

Retail Transacted
£49,510

Mileage 25,000
Ave Mileage 29,000

anyone who really says they need more than 550 horses on the road in this country is just involved in a **** swinging competition
Depends what you mean by "need". Many would argue you don't need more than 200bhp! It all depends what people want from a car and how they drive. I mapped my 5.5 biturbo, not for willy waving, but because the engine is capable of so much and it transforms the performance. Do I need it? No, of course not. Is it huge fun and worth every penny. Absolutely.
If you don't use 550bhp, then there's no point mapping, as you're unlikely to use 650bhp either!

£39000 seems cheap!

Step 2: Select Vehicle
s0558380.jpg

Model Availability
10/2019 - open
2019, Mercedes-Benz, GLC-Class, 3.0 (390ps) GLC AMG 43 Premium Plus Coupe 4d 4MATIC AMG Speedshift TCT
Automatic transmission, 9 speed, Coupe, Petrol, 4 wheel drive permanent, 2996cc, 240.0 g/km, G/C: RDLQ, N/C: 298514001, V-ID: 751820
Date of Registration: 01/09/2019
List Price: £57,630 ▼

Glass's Trade
£46,270

Retail Transacted
£49,510

Mileage 25,000
Ave Mileage 29,000
Thanks ALFA. The £39K car is on AT and for sale at MB Watford. There are quite a few between £40 and £45K. It looks s if they are slow moving and being discounted.

Depends what you mean by "need". Many would argue you don't need more than 200bhp! It all depends what people want from a car and how they drive. I mapped my 5.5 biturbo, not for willy waving, but because the engine is capable of so much and it transforms the performance. Do I need it? No, of course not. Is it huge fun and worth every penny. Absolutely.
If you don't use 550bhp, then there's no point mapping, as you're unlikely to use 650bhp either!
I think we may have been separated at birth.... :)
I drove mine in standard form for 3 years then decided i "needed a tad more" so headed to MSL & had it mapped to release some extra beans & boy, it's transformed the car...do i need 600+bhp estate...?? probably not...do i enjoy the car - absolutely 100%.
My Mini Cooper D has a poultry 120bhp but even that's great fun on a B road - it's just a case of using what you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom