hi gang. home pc...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportsCoupeRich

MB Enthusiast
Car
RRS
pretty highly specced Packard bell, upgraded by independant about 6 mths ago now seems to be taking an age to shut down and switch user. ALSO has developed the habit of throwing me out of games into windows. did i say games. meant excel. *cough* :rolleyes:

o/s is windows media edition fancy plug to tv type one.

ta! :D

Have you run Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy and/or Microsoft Antispyware? Also antivirus etc all up to date? Could be you've been got at in some way. Is it a downloaded game or normal legit CD/DVD based game? Or is it an online one?

Slow to switch using fast user switching huh?

Well tbh, I'd never use that function as it cashes all the userdata and bogs down your machine big time. It also runs the other users programs in the background while you are trying to work/play games whatever.

The tasks running for the other user may well be the cause of you being kicked out. I'd log onto each account in turn and then log off and once all accounts are done, I'd reboot and test it without using the fast user switching to see if the problem is still apparent. Best to log off each time IMO.

BTW, "pretty highly specced Packard bell" is an oxymoron... still chuckling while I'm cleaning the coffee of my screen ;)

Lots of things I can think of cause slow shutdown, but if you haven't knowingly changed any config recently, a lot can be discarded.

Did the independant set the machine up for you software wise?

Only just started to happen, have upgraded drivers and run adware and always have my virus software (norton) running. Dont switch user often, but the only program that would be running in the background would be msn messenger - only switch when flatmate needs to check hotmail or vice versa.

Pammy - are you accusing me of being a pirate!how very dare you. ;) ... all legal games thank you very muuch :) :D

SportsCoupeRich said:
pretty highly specced Packard bell, upgraded by independant about 6 mths ago now seems to be taking an age to shut down and switch user. ALSO has developed the habit of throwing me out of games into windows. did i say games. meant excel. *cough* :rolleyes:

o/s is windows media edition fancy plug to tv type one.

ta! :D

Nasty nasty O/S that ME. Have you thought about upgrading to XP?

I agree with Pammy that it sounds like you have an infection of some description or other.

I'm confused as to what OS you are using now. Please confirm.

I'll duck out - I don't know anything about Media Edition apart from I quite like the idea.

SportsCoupeRich said:
Alfie - whats so nasty about it dear chap? i assumed it was pretty much xp but with some extra features...therefore it would be a downgrade? :confused:

Sorry I thought you meant Windows ME.

GrahamC230K said:
I'll duck out - I don't know anything about Media Edition apart from I quite like the idea.

its ok, really good when you have friends round after you've been on hols or on a night out...sit on the sofa and watch them on the 42" using the remote control....really handy, good for listening to music too. :rock:

rest of it is std XP :)

have you defragged the drive recently?

also, do you have lots of TSR (terminate and stay resident) progs running in the background? These take up a lot of CPU resources. Check your taskbar or ctrl alt & del to see what processes are running. If you've got hundreds then you need to close down non essential ones.

Also see if you can download a registry cleaner as the Windows resgistry gets clogged up sometimes searching for stuff that doesn't exist.

Finally, how much memory do you have? Have you upgraded the hardware recently without upping the memory? This will mean the memory struggles to keep up and have to dump things into the cache on the hard drive, meaning lots of to and fro of data. PCs struggle on 512mb these days with 1gb of memory a minimum really, especially if you are playing games.

Norton 20000000000000000000000000000000005

Was your norton recently updated via download or did you have to reregister? :confused: Norton 2005 has been slated for slowing computers down compared to to the older 2004 product. :( Probably means its more secure but if your computer slows to a crawl :crazy: :crazy:

grober said:
Was your norton recently updated via download or did you have to reregister? :confused: Norton 2005 has been slated for slowing computers down compared to to the older 2004 product. :( Probably means its more secure but if your computer slows to a crawl :crazy: :crazy:

Agree.... Norton is now just too intrusive... gave up on it and use AVG free now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom