Hi gang - What detector am i buying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Origin B2 is brilliant, regards the legality the B2 is safe at because the laser detection bit is easily detachable.

I have hard wired mine to fit beneath the central storage cubby at the top of the dashboard. I fount that this was the best location both from an ease of use and looks perpspective.

I must be missing something re. detectors (as opposed to GPS systems).

Picking up 'splash' from cars being painted by laser in front you is all well and good, but aren't the most likely scenarios:

1. they're holding you back to a legal speed (in which case getting a warning is interesting, but doesn't really matter)

or

2. they're speeding too (so will presumably get nicked rather than you?)

And if there aren't any cars in front of you, then as soon as you're painted and the detector goes off they have your speed already!

PS I also thought that laser was a very fine beam fired for a short time, so the chance of picking up 'splash' from other cars was low anyway?!

:confused: :confused:

BTB 500 said:
I must be missing something re. detectors (as opposed to GPS systems).

Picking up 'splash' from cars being painted by laser in front you is all well and good, but aren't the most likely scenarios:

1. they're holding you back to a legal speed (in which case getting a warning is interesting, but doesn't really matter)

or

2. they're speeding too (so will presumably get nicked rather than you?)

And if there aren't any cars in front of you, then as soon as you're painted and the detector goes off they have your speed already!

PS I also thought that laser was a very fine beam fired for a short time, so the chance of picking up 'splash' from other cars was low anyway?!

:confused: :confused:

You are most right. The chance of picking up a splash is minimal unless the beam hits a highly reflective surface on a car in front (or other reflective object); and if you pick up your own splash, they do have your speed.

BUT... at the same time, if you have a jammer, it proceeds to send a random number of beams back to the transmitter (i.e. the gun) totally confusing it. Most jammers have a "cool down period" of a couple of seconds. That is to say, you get marked, they cancel out that speed reading to the cop, while beeping wildly at you. You have 2/3 seconds to slam those disks before the cop can retarget you.

The problem lies in legality. Some countries don't care, some do. French cops ("les flic") get quite hot under the collar about these, while Italians might stop you if they are not informed but then donn't really care. British rules, I'm afraid I do not know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom