Hi, glutten for punishment...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby_Rstevens

Car
Vito Bus
All,

I just wanted to say hi, so glad I found this place :thumb:

Been after a bus for a long time for family and Daughers dance troop and looked at a lot of different makers/ models and styles but settled on a Vito Traveliner as I love them! After seeing lots of rusty "expensive" models I managed to find a 2003 112 Cdi for what I was happy to pay, however, it does have 160K on the clock (MBZ SH to 100,000) but drives real nice but body wise it is perfect nearly... only a couple of areas of small rust under the paint on tailgate and but I am happy but as with everthing it does have some niggles....

First off.... the paint looks like a black with a bluey/purple pearl but hard to tell. Don't want to get it mopped until I know I don't want any kit or extensions etc but does anyone know what colours the 03 came in? It just says black on the log book and I have seen early Vito's that are black and it;s not the same colour... see pic - bare in mind the paint is fairly flat at present and took this off my phone.

Bobby_RStevens
20120124_134004.jpg

20120124_134021.jpg

It also has a line of somekind of stone guard about 3/4's of a foot up from the sills and can't see any rust on the underside..compared to the others I have viewed it looks brand new bodywise which is why we punted for this!.

I totally love it, it had a new turbo last year and pulls REALLY well, no smoke or nothing but now the niggles.... I will try to resolve and search the tech section but just to keep it all in one place...

Glow plug light stays for about 20 secs, guess these need changing so should any garage be able to resolve or is it MBZ only?

Has two fobs but neither will remote lock/unlock the car, have read this could be electrics problem in drivers door...

Smells like sweat burning diesel/oil sometimes and at night you can see small amount of smoke coming through the headlight (injectors) - a can't see anything obv...

I really love these old buses, don't know why so I just want to get it all sorted as I carry my family in here... Don't mind the spend as my other car is a Scooby :doh: so another money pit but hey, you only live once.

Having spent an hour on here or so already I can tell it's mind kind of forum.

:thumb:

Kind Rgs

Bobby

Welcome Bobby. Good old bus you have there.

Glow plugs. Merc independent boy if you can. Where are you based? The forum members all know someone somewhere to give you a lift with stuff like this.

Its going to look the business once you have it sorted.

CHEERS.

Welcome Bobby. Enjoy the car. And enjoy this forum.... :thumb:

That sweet smell could well be black death on the injectors.

Any decent mechanic should be able to change the glow plugs, but I've got a funny feeling that it's related to the 'sweet smell'.

Do a search for 'black death' on the forum and have a good read of the symptoms.

Thanks guys.

Been after a bus for my family and troops for a while, toy'd with a newer shape Tourneo and would have prob have been a more reliable shout, where I live everyman and his dog has a T* VW and though they are great I love being different.

Yeah have lots of plans for the new family member but want to get the important stuff done first then see what the boss lets me spend later in the year :)

I am in the process of searching now on "black Death"... sounds very poss to be honest.

Location wise I am located at worlds end....(End of the M4 South Wales) so any recommendations are gladly rec'd. Have a really good garage in the village but not had chance to show them my new "blank" cheque but they love my Subrau :wallbash:.

Thanks for comments, I like it....Friends have already named it the Venga Bus....

Rgs

Bobby

Hi and welcome Bobby.

"see pic - bare in mind the paint is fairly flat at present and took this off my phone"

- Ha ha your phone takes better pictures than my flippin' camera does!

Location wise I am located at worlds end....(End of the M4 South Wales) so any recommendations are gladly rec'd.

In that case theres a good Indy in Swansea who i've used in the past SK Automotive on the enterprise park, 01792 795667. Oh and welcome by the way.

Thanks

I will give these guys a shout tomorrow as no doubt they are use to people with the probs I need addressing before the real spend starts.....

Many thanks

Rgs

Bobby

Oh, to the earlier note.... It's a Galaxy S2 I bought to replace my Iphone & I honest can't fault the thing

I would take the plastic strips off the doors (small screw on the inside of the door then slide it backwards/forwards) and clean behind them, water gets trapped there and then it will rust and bubble and before you see it, it will be too late have taken hold.
The wiring going into the doors from the A pillar can get brittle and break stopping the power windows/mirrors etc working

Alan

Awesome.

Has it goes....the mirrors have stopped working as well.... you guys are good.

When it stops raining here I will get a look at all this. If the wiring goes brittle are the available from MBZ as a section? or a case of chopping out and replacing?

Thanks Again

Rgs

Bobby

If the wiring goes brittle are the available from MBZ as a section? or a case of chopping out and replacing?

Thanks Again

Rgs
Bobby

I just chopped out and replaced, its fiddly and time consuming but it worked

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom