Hi Guys, just to introduce myself.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark1963

Car
Mercedes Sprinter
Hello Guys, first time on this site and finding my way around, I have just bought my first 2014 Mercedes sprinter 313 messing van, with 108.000 miles, to covert into a day van. one little problem the 2rd gear is difficult to engage sometimes?

1963! A vintage year. ;)

Welcome aboard, Mark. :thumb:

Welcome, your 2nd gear is f~#ked - Just kidding i dont know, if you have a synchro mesh issue then its a mechanical fault inside the gear train. But if its only difficult "sometimes" then it cant be a solid mechanical issue, its either broken or it isnt, have you tried changing the g/b oil and do a flush..??

Welcome Mark. You’re doing what I hope to do when I have more free time....converting a van to a camper. Enjoy the project and post some pics!

Welcome, your 2nd gear is f~#ked - Just kidding i dont know, if you have a synchro mesh issue then its a mechanical fault inside the gear train. But if its only difficult "sometimes" then it cant be a solid mechanical issue, its either broken or it isnt, have you tried changing the g/b oil and do a flush..??
Hi thanks for that, know I haven't done anything yet, as I want start with the cheapest route first, changing the oil maybe the way, someone else said the clutch could be dragging and bleed it to see if it can be adjusted.

Hi, I'm another potential van converter so would be interested to follow your progress.

Hello Guys, first time on this site and finding my way around, I have just bought my first 2014 Mercedes sprinter 313 messing van, with 108.000 miles, to covert into a day van. one little problem the 2rd gear is difficult to engage sometimes?
Welcome..... Hope you reach the magical 30 posts soon ... Ha Ha

Welcome .

I’ll have to start by asking you to explain what a messing van and a day van is ?

I’ve only driven delivery vans .

Ok , with Sprinters , of which I’ve driven more than a few for work , I have heard of issues where the gear lever comes out in your hand , never happened to me , but others in places I worked had it .

As others have said could equally be worn selectors or synchro .

There are so many rusty sprinters in scrapyards that a secondhand box will be the cheapest fix if it is nothing external . At the mileage on your van it is a good chance to stick in a new clutch at the same time and you can tick off something you’d have to do eventually in any case .

I’ve also heard handbrakes tend to sieze up on Sprinters , so another thing to check .

Update , I just messaged a pal who has one ( a LWB high roof ex minibus which he is converting into a motor home ) ; he says it is a very common issue ( his Sprinter is awkward going into first - he says don’t force it , will make problem worse ) ; the gear selector is by cables , which stretch , MB do a set of cables , which come as an assembly with new gear lever , cost is about £250 .

I’m told it is a fiddly job but DIY-Able .

At 115,000 miles , I’d still be thinking about doing the clutch at the same time since you’d have to disturb the cables again to do a clutch .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom