Hi Guys What lubricant do you use for your hinges and alike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pioneercollector

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL 500
Dear All,

I have noticed that when the car ( SL500 ) is out and about on days when the weather is 30c+ the roof mech does squeak a bit, as does the safety bar when raised / closed - I was wondering if i needed to lubricate the joints on the moving parts? And find out what you guys and gals use on your cars?

Thanks in advance

I use this one, but I’m sure any WD40 type product would be perfect.A6A22519-8C70-4A99-B9A5-EA33E613EF81.jpeg

I use gt85 but I wouldn’t fiddle with anything in these absurd temperatures.

Wait until next week when things settle back to “normal.”

And, even then, be cautious about what you’re lubricating or loosening. It’s a complex bit of kit

Hi All,

Thank you for your advice, and yes definitely NOT going to be waving a can of flammable liquid around in this heat:eek: I was just going to tackle the moving metal parts of the roof.

Thanks All

I use white lithium spray on the convertible hinge points. Seems to work well.

🤣🤣🤣🤣, get yer self down to France, 44 last week, only 37 yesterday. With you on the GT85, silicon based works wonders.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll leave Juan-les-Pins until October when it's a reliably in the early 20's.

44 degrees? One of the few things that would make me drive straight to the home of Fred Dibnah - without stopping ! (Currently a balmy or barmy 29 degrees)

44 degrees
Was only one day luckily. Ironically i was going to pickup a mobile aircon unit for the static, didn't take the trailer and wouldn't fit in the boot so it was roof off for an hour and a half with it sat next to me in the passenger seat, the dash said 44.5, i nearly died as the aircon in the car wasn't working either, thats fixed now, small leak fixed and a re gas €118.
Nice and cool now.16603162752104885719176135145857.jpg

3 in 1 oil if I had to but the hinges get done during routine servicing surely :)

Silicon spray for the hinges and then also silicon gel for the seals around the doors, windscreen rail etc. DO NOT use WD40 - it is not a lubricant, it is a penetrating oil!
Not anymore WD40 do a very good Silicone Lubricant Spray, a tadge expensive but does the job!;)

Did mine again yesterday with my multi purpose spray to the difficult to reach areas, I had stopped the hood closing half way to get at the hidden hinges, while I was going round the back the weight of the roof dropped down into the boot on its own, clear sign that its well lubricated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom