Hi, I'm hoping to convert a Vito/Viano to a campervan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattventuring

Car
Triumph Tiger 800
I have joined the forum to learn all I can and even find a donor vehicle (W639?) if I can. Any thoughts for you guys on the best base vehicle, conversion tips or conversion companies would be great.

The plan is to have a simple layout - 2 berth (fixed bed with storage underneath), one small kitchen unit (sink/cooker) and a swivel passenger seat. A pop up roof is a must so I can stand up. We will use the van for weeks and even months away.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, sounds an exciting project, I'm sure there will be someone along soon that can help

IMHO a Vito/Viano is going to be pretty cramped as even a basic camper van ... not sure I'd want to live in one for months! Maybe take a look at the Marco Polo (MB's own version) for ideas ... IIRC that has a bed in the pop-up roof.

Your question is much bigger than you know, yet.
When I've time I'll look out some previous threads that explain, in much detail as there are so many differences, the types of Vito / Viano available.

Read lots there is a lot to understand, and buying a van that isn't suitable for your purpose is too easy.

What to understand is the difference between compact (undesirable), long and ex long.
Then there are the engine differences, essentially it is either a 2.1 or 3 litre. But the 2.1 has come in 2 guises (unless post 2018 when another appeared).
The toys in a Viano are 'generally' more than a Vito. But you will do a lot of searching if you're requirements are specific as some have this but not that. The Viano is a nicer ride, but likely to be £565 road tax (there are hints this may change and be applied to fuel perhaps, but who the hell knows they don't yet). The Vito can be as low as £140 tax, as ours.
Many if not most Viano's are ex taxis and the mileage has been corrupted on very many.

Also for the camper look up the Khyam drive away Motor Dome . We've used ours extensively and it was the best I found for purpose, although that was perhaps 6 /7 years ago.
I see there are many more options than the tent we bought at £350(ish)
But anyway it may negate your need for the pop up.

In ours I've created a bed base that is 2.1m x 1.43m(at narrowest). This folds in 3 to serve as a dining table, with under storage. It uses the 2nd row seats as support when a bed and as seats when dining.

I gave up on the idea of rotating front seats (any) as I prefer to use the between seat area for a storage unit I've fitted. It serves massive advantage while on the move.

Methinks these are early days of research.

IMHO a Vito/Viano is going to be pretty cramped as even a basic camper van ... not sure I'd want to live in one for months! Maybe take a look at the Marco Polo (MB's own version) for ideas ... IIRC that has a bed in the pop-up roof.
I have thought about this and would like to see some conversions to get a better sense, but this is hard to do as meets and shows or not happening. I feel a Sprinter is too big. Also, we have spent 2 months in T4 VW (similar layout) in the past, so have a good idea of our needs/wants.

I have added a few things to my list of options (tent etc) and what to look for when buying, so thanks all.

I have joined the forum to learn all I can and even find a donor vehicle (W639?) if I can. Any thoughts for you guys on the best base vehicle, conversion tips or conversion companies would be great.

The plan is to have a simple layout - 2 berth (fixed bed with storage underneath), one small kitchen unit (sink/cooker) and a swivel passenger seat. A pop up roof is a must so I can stand up. We will use the van for weeks and even months away.

The obvious one is to try and find a minibus , which will already have Windows .

A pal of mine , who is a bus driver anyway , bought a LWB high roof Sprinter minibus to convert ; it already had a tail extension with on board toilet , and an air conditioner on the roof , plus curtains on all the windows since it was a ‘luxury’ minibus . Then he bought a crash damaged caravan to get the fridge/cooker /sink/Zig electrics and a lot of the furniture out of . It is still a work in progress but will be quite something when finished .

Last edited:
Hello, firstly apologies if this question has been asked before! We have converted our 2013 W369 Vito into a day van/camper and are trying to find a single front passenger seat. Saw chat re fitting seats from the newer W447 but these seem to relate to rear seats, has anyone fitted one to a W639 or know if this can be done. Thanks

Hello, firstly apologies if this question has been asked before! We have converted our 2013 W369 Vito into a day van/camper and are trying to find a single front passenger seat. Saw chat re fitting seats from the newer W447 but these seem to relate to rear seats, has anyone fitted one to a W639 or know if this can be done. Thanks
W639 I mean!!

Hi Mattventuring. Great idea & it is the reason I bought mine although I haven't got very far with conversion. A mate spent £25K on a converted T5 & it is tiny in comparison. No A/C, cloth seats. I guess it depends on the level of conversion you want but my Viano has a tailgate as opposed to barn doors, triple sunroof, extra long, Eberspacher night heater, fully lined, 3 power sockets, space under the drivers seat for a leisure battery. I'm 6'3" & the Viano was designed for a driver 6'4" tall. There is lots of room in the back & when empty it feels cavernous. Rob

Hi Mattventuring, we had similar ideas during lockdown 1.0 last year, and ended up buying a SWB Viano. We decided to stick with a "day van" style conversion, building our own self-contained little kitchenette that sits in the back. This has proved to be a brilliant option for days out to the beach (lats summer) as well having a little "base" when going down the local park.

I would say that if you have children (we have 2) the Viano is really going to be a bit tight for space. We were, personally, also a little concerned about plowing too much money into a 17 year-old vehicle, so we wanted any additions we made to be "transferable"!

Having done a lot of research into it all, I'd be happy to share pictures of the kitchenette thing we built for the bag and well as some of the add-ons we have considered. One massive recommendation if you do go down the Viano route is the sliding table thing.... It's brilliant

The Viano has plenty of space & is a "car" for the purposes of Insurance & if you are going to be touring abroad your ticket for the ferry & the Peage Autoroutes too. My Viano feels big to drive & park but I wouldn't feel comfortable in anything much bigger, also there are height restrictions of 2m in many car parks which is another consideration.

Did you complete this project ? I changed my driver and passenger bench seats to swivel in case there's anything I may be able to help with ?
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom