Hi, Im new and after some MB advice please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr pies

Car
Audi A4
Hello all. Long time MB fan here, up until recently never though I would be in the position to get one, but now I am.

I am specifically looking at the W202 C250 TD or C200 models. Due to a new job, I now only do around 60-100 miles per week mostly round town. My last 2 cars have been diesels and I have grown to love oil burners in general.

So my question is, would It be wise to get the diesel considering I do so few miles? Or would a 2ltr petrol be just as economical considering the price differnece in pertrol vs diesel?
Also, I have been told with regards to this model, the auto gearbox is a common failure point and expensive to replace. Is this true?
Are there any other common failure points I should be aware of?
What are servicing costs like?

I think I have found a fairly good one (see link below) It would be a good distance for me to go and see this one, do you think it is worth it?

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Thanks in advance.

ETA: Are they rear wheel drive?

Last edited:
The W202 is RWD (Nearly all mercs are).

The diesels are more economical - my C180 used to be rated at 30mpg (But it felt less that that in reality), the C220 diesel is rated at 39mpg.

Auto boxes are pretty solid - it's the AMG variants that require a bit more TLC for their gearboxes. Best to make sure the fluids are changed at least around 100k though just to be safe.

The main thing with any 202 to look out for is rust. In general they are good solid and pretty reliable cars. I've gone through 2 of them, and the only expensive outlay was a MAF sensor that was needed.

If you only do about 100 miles a week and you've got £2,500 to spend, I would buy looking at a W203 (2001 onwards C-Class) petrol.

Those 250 TD engines are very good though, bullet-proof to use a cliche.

Hello PieMan

I miss my W202 it was a brilliant car then I lost the plot and sold it, although I had C230K which I though was pretty good on fuel and never had any issues with the gear box.

Sure someone who can be more helpful will be along shortly!

Have a GOOD look around there are some real good bargains out there for the W202's
check for wheel arch and around the locks for rust

They are rear wheel drive

Thanks for the quick reply guys, much appreciated! Are the diesels expensive to service? (I currently have an audi a4 tdi which costs about £200 per service, would the mb be the same?)

So if I find one with no rust at all, can I expect it to start going rusty at some point?

I seem to have found a few other good ones...

If you only do about 100 miles a week and you've got £2,500 to spend, I would buy looking at a W203 (2001 onwards C-Class) petrol.

Can you link me one if possible? Can't say I have seen them that cheap although I might be searching for the wrong car :wallbash:

If you find one without rust at this age, it must have had the paintwork treated and sprayed.

Can you link me one if possible? Can't say I have seen them that cheap although I might be searching for the wrong car :wallbash:

I don't know how to post a link from my phone, but I've had a quick look on eBay and there are a few C200 kompressers around the £2,500 mark.

Don't buy an early 203. Late 202's are so much better.

If you do avoid the compressor engines (m111) as they have many many issues.

Don't buy an early 203. Late 202's are so much better.

If you do avoid the compressor engines (m111) as they have many many issues.

I was trying to be sensible and not recommend a C36 AMG....

I was too.

Early 203's are some of the most worked on cars through my workshop. They suffer in pretty much every area. The diesels are better though.

I have a C250td 202 and it's brilliant. It has mega miles but it cheap to run, quiet, smooth, comfortable and cost £1500.

I am a big fan of the C250TD.

Early 203s were a disaster. All sorts of electrical gremlins that proved hard to sort out. Stick with a late 202 for that sort of money. With the mileage you do there is not much point on the diesel. What about a 230k?

The diesel will be better because they are much more reliable. They rarely go wrong at all.

Thank you again for the replies guys. The first diesel car I linked, is that a good price £2495 considering the low miles and history it has?

That's a little top heavy considering no leather. £2-2.2k is about right.

Have to agree with the 203, mine was a nightmare in and out of a garage for the best part of 6 months and the car was even rusting on the pillars.... It was only 5 years old!

My 202 230k sport was simply awesome)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom