Hi i'm new and looking for help with a MB100d Van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mb100d

Car
mercedes vito /mb100d
Hi,
I'm new to your site and am looking for some help with my MB100D Van!
It has the OM616 2.4d motor.
This van is a 1992
I have owned this van since 2007.
I bought the vehicle from a german builder whilst living in Lanzarote.
It was quite tatty when I bought it but in my time of ownership it has been the most reliable vehicle i've ever owned.
I used it for my gardening business in Lanzarote until the 2010 when i converted it to a camper and drove it round europe for the summer and eventually ending up back in the North East of England (i must be mad!)
This was a journey of 7000miles in total.
In 2010 it had developed a small fault on going up hills,almost like it wasnt getting any fuel /fuel starvation /lack of power.
This was a intermitent fault.
It began to be more frequent until I parked the van up in a friends stable.
Due to work I had decided to buy a vito van which was already uk registered and was white and more suitable for my business.
I have now lost the storage and have been told to move it.
Whilst in the stable it started up ok until when it came to be moved and simply wouldnt start.
We towed it out and jump started.
After a long time we got it started.
The battery has been fully charged.
Since being started 3 weeks ago ive now gone back and it will not start.
It turns over and over but doesnt seem to want to go.
It is puffing at the exhaust white smoke.it is also firing out of the intake breather pipe when removed.
Ive been told that this is lack of compression and the motor may be bust.
Ive topped up with fresh juice,put a new fuel filter on ,bled off at the top etc
i havent bled at the injectors or pump-
Does anyone know of any known problems with these motors?
Does anyone know the location of any bleed nipple?
Is there anyway of knowing this engine is bust without even hearing it running first?(as ive been told off one mechanic)
Does anyone know any good mechanics who know these motors in the north east?
If it the motor-does anyone know the location of a good om616 motor and someone who will fit it for me ?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and i hope somebody can help!

Hi Nick,
3 weeks ago i tried to drive it up a small hill and it was so down on power in couldnt do it-
i can remember in europe it was blowing a lot of water out of the radiator overflow but i put this down to a airlock in the water system-could this be a cracked head?
I have a basic mechanical skills so haven't done anything other than basic diagnosis.
Best wishes,
Craig.

Hi Nick,
3 weeks ago i tried to drive it up a small hill and it was so down on power in couldnt do it-
i can remember in europe it was blowing a lot of water out of the radiator overflow but i put this down to a airlock in the water system-could this be a cracked head?
I have a basic mechanical skills so haven't done anything other than basic diagnosis.
Best wishes,
Craig.

Get it tested and see if the head gasket has gone, or if the head is cracked.

I have got a 307D engine, if you do happen to need a head, gasket has to bethe first port of call though.

I am now working my way through some cheap options to see if i can resolve.I have taken off the small inline filter which was full of black particals.Its only 99p for a new one so gotta be worth a go !
if the head was cracked /head gasket wouldnt i see water /mayo on the oil filler cap?
thanks again
craig

Hi Craig, did you ever find out what the issue was with your MB100 van? I have one that has the same symptoms so any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks Jody

Craig / Jody,

I'm another sufferer from this I'm afraid! Did either of you make any progress with this. Mine happened September 2006 since when van has been parked but like Craig I now have to move it. No illusions I will have it running any time soon (a decade has slipped by!!) but it was interesting that two people have had identical symptoms as mine. At the time I suspected fuel starvation and stripped the fuel pump / changed filters etc all to no avail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom