Hi, new owner looking for feedback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACB44

Car
E63 AMG S & AMG GTS
Being a new AMG owner and Mercedes owner and to performance cars as well I am slowly adjusting to my new life LOL

A few things have been running through my mind which I thought I would share and see what others owners have to say?

1 - Tuning. I have no experience of tuning or remaps or anything else and no real mechanical knowledge of the cars I just like the soundtrack and annoying Ferraris and Porsches who try to leave me behind and can't LOL. SO is it worth an "amateur" dabbling or not, does tweaking affect value, and do you really need more power (rhetorical question OF COURSE you do!!)

2 - Has anyone been on any of the AMG driving days with Mercedes down at Brooklands? And if so what did you think? I figured it would be a good way to test the limits of the cars and improve my driving while not breaking my car!

3 - I have Silverstone and the Nurburgring on my do list just to say I have and wondered if anyone else had been to either and their thoughts?

Cheers

Can't comment on track days etc but generic mods for most AMG cars and most worthwhile are engine remap and locking rear diff. Usually by MSL perf and Quaife diff

Hello and welcome,
My advice would be before you venture onto any track, especially the Nurburgring, is to get some advanced driver training.
Many companies offer this, including MB at Brooklands.
The Nurburgring is a truly awesome place which everyone should experience at least once..however, it's not for the novice, especially in a car the value of yours..
Once you have mastered the car Acid at MSL will make it even more awesome for you..

I've done loads of track days (Silverstone, Oulton, Anglesey and the Nurburgring several times) but not in a new AMG. Although the UK circuits will probably be ok I'd be wary doing a Touristenfahrten day at the Ring in a car that valuable. It's a very tricky track even when you're alone (the Adenauer-Forst switchback is incredibly difficult at any kind of speed) but it's the other knobs who think their Peugeot 206s are F1 cars you'll need to be aware of. They will shave paint off your wings going past. Plus ... if you crash you will face an astronomical bill from the circuit for closure costs and recovery vehicles .... potentially 5 figures if you damage barriers and leave oil on the track. Not to be taken lightly but having said that ... it's probably in the top 10 things I've ever done in my life. I got 9 mins 10 secs in my S3 in 2007 and remember it like it was yesterday. Go - but go with your eyes open.

And check if your insurance doesn't exclude driving on Nurburgring. Some do.

Thanks guys, first on the list was always going to be the AMG driving day at Brooklands and see how i get on!

What have you had previously? If you're new to a car of such power, it's maybe sensible to leave it a good while before doing any modifications?

I've just picked up an identical car in white. Unfortunately I had to go on holiday the day after I had it delivered and only drove it briefly.

I HIGHLY recommend you don't remap it until you have driven it for a while. I had a 333bhp bmw vert as a second car which was no slouch but the e63 feels scary fast in comparison.

Re the night pack, know what you mean re the front end. I've already ordered black wing mirrors and I'll be having the front spoiler wrapped in gloss black. I will keep the silver section though, personally I quite like it :)

I've driven a lot of quick cars but never owned one with this much power or as big before so living with it and learning how to get the best out of it is sound advice and pretty much what I thought anyway. I'll keep watching what you guys are doing though :) Just need to find a decent weather forecast for Brooklands now :)

The most power before this was a Jag XJR Sport but then i had to go sensible and cheap as I was working in London and their driving skills are awful! So far I use the power in bursts to get past traffic I couldnt of before and I love that it eats the miles on long trips and I feel like I've only just been round the corner. I havent thrown it around much but dont think its that kind of car, well for me anyway!

Tweaking doesn't add value. Remap and exhausts are for your own enjoyment only.

That said remap is very noticeable as you would expect from adding 100bhp.

Brooklands experience is fun but expensive when you consider number of hours you need to get to grips with the car. I would imagine track day is a better deal if you can keep your competitive side under control.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I found the AMG driving experiences at MB World very good. I've done countless track days and still do in my track prepared VX220 Turbo (380BHP per tonne)and considered the 4 hour session I did in a SL63 good value for money when you consider the fuel and tyres.
The instructors are top notch drivers and have a very good knowledge of the cars, and if like me you explain that you own one of the cars and wish to learn the limits of it's handling and your limits too it will be money well spent as they tailored the course to exactly what I wanted.
The two tracks at MB World were designed to replicate tight A roads one tighter than the other. On my day it was pouring down with rain so ideal and I learnt both the limits of the car and me. I expect they do a course with exactly your model which will be ideal.

Last edited:
Choice of car was random when I booked. I got dealt a c63 despite asking for e63. It was a good hour, though a little bit overwhelming in unfamiliar car, unfamiliar track and although helpful but still a stranger sitting next to me. I would need 20 hours of that easily to get better and at £200 an hour I'm quite sure there are other options.

One I can recommend is car limits day in essex

Just to clarify I'm a new owner to AMG's not the owner of a new AMG

That said all the advice holds true so thanks to all

I've got a 2012 E63 and not sure I like the trend of smaller and smaller engines if I'm being honest that said I guess my next car will be a tesla or similar that out performs us and does 500,000 miles!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom