Hi, newbie here 👋

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattClarkson

Car
Ford S Max
Hello there,
I have just joined the forum as I was hoping to get some feedback from owners / advice. I have had a couple of mercedes in the past (a Y reg E320cdi estate and an 04 C270cdi estate). I am looking to come back to owning an E class estate. My budget looks as though it will allow a 10 - 12 plate. I am just unsure as to whether an E250 or E350 will be my best option. I fancy the E350 power wise but is one much more reliable than the other on the whole?
Thanks in advance .

Welcome. Not in a position to advise, but enjoy your time on the forum.

Overall I think that the 350 is probably the more reliable. The oil cooler seals can go on the 350 and whilst the seals are cheap there is a lot of dismantling to do to get to them - making is a £££ job. The 220/250 suffer from weak cooling systems and timing chain problems. I don't think that the real world running costs are much different between the 4 and 6 cylinder models so I would recommend the 350 v6.

Welcome Matt.

Personally, I'd go with the 350 all day long.

There's a big difference in refinement which suits the relaxed nature of the car.

Plus the extra grunt.

I've owned both in the cabriolet version. The 350 cdi is obviously the smoother engine as it's a V6, but the 250cdi with its twin turbos is fast enough for most, and a bit bit better on MPG and road tax.
The other difference, which is not often mentioned, is the smaller 4 cyl. engine is much lighter over the front axle and you can really feel the difference in handling and weight if you step out of one, and into the other, as I have done.
So, they both have their pros and cons. but both are very nice.
Good luck with your search!

My parents had an E250 CDI saloon of that period (W212 pre facelift), nice car but I wasn't entirely convinced by the engine - adequate but no more, eg when overtaking. So based on that I'd go for the E350. Other benefit is, I guess, on average the V6 cars are likely to have had a higher spec from new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom