Hi Pitch turbo squeel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brynton

Evening all,
There is a high pitch squeel coming from my turbo (C250td) when you get a bit overly excited with the loud pedal.
It doesnt happen all of the time but when it does it is annoying. It normally satrts at about 2000-2500rpm up to about 4500rpm.

It is definatly not the fan belt, as it was changed yesterday along with the waterpump, belt shocker and roller.

There seems to be a little oil on the actuator.

Any ideas???

Cheers

It sounds like it might have wear in the bearings allowing the compressor wheel to move.
The classic turbo squeal is caused by it being out of balance.

thanks for that, so if i pull theintake pipe off the front of the turbo and check for play.

Would a recon of the unit be the best bet as I think a new on ewould be many £££££

How does the squeel sound, like a whistling crescendo or a rasping noise? Does it Crescendo as you put your foot down, then disappear once the car is off heavy load, or is the sound constant as your foot is down?

Play on the bearing is to be expected as it gets older, but if it has suddenly started, could be time to find out why (ie. oil feed becoming blocked, causing premature bearing wear). How many miles has it covered?

In terms of a new Turbo, many companies offer an exchange service (Turbo Technics etc), but if its one of the Garrett Variable Nozzle (VNT) units then a re-con unit wont be possible (other than from Merc or Garrett direct - this advise came from Turbo Technics as apparently the gear to setup and balance a variable nozzle turbo is too expensive to make it worth there while). If a new Turbo is needed, Ebay is probably your best bet, look on the German ebay for more choice.

Firstly though, analyse the problem, it could be the neighbours cat has got stuck in the engine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom