Hi stop me selling on my Merc ( a bit of advice will do it)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LondonMerc777

Car
c240 1998
Hi all - I bought a very attractive Automatic 1998 C240 a few weeks ago - i've used it every day since. I do like it but it has a couple of what i think are minor issues.
It cuts out in traffic and/or very slow speeds.
It has a quite jerky gear change ...
It has came out of gear twice (i think 4th) u brake and it goes back into 3rd and it's ok again.
I've read many posts on the very supportive and knowledgable forum.
This is my 4th Mercedes and i am a big fan of the Marque.
From what i've read so far:
Get the gearbox reset on Star.
Clean Throttle Body and Butterfly Edge Plate.
Check ATF level.
Is it possible to adjust the tick over? I tried to adjust it where the accelerator cable is attached at the top of the engine - all that did was make it tick over at 1000 bpm in Park - but in Drive it sits at 600 ...
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Maf sensor and engine mounts would be my guesses.

Can u explain why it idles 500rpm more in Park than Drive? I did adjust it - so i know i can lower it again - but i thought Drive would also sit higher - eliminating the stalling?

The idle should be a fixed speed irrespective of load. Adjust the throttle flaps back to standard, clean the throttle body and check the Maf.

Thanks for your advice - i'm not mechanical so i don't know how to adjust the throttle flaps - i'll have to go to an Indie near me in London - I'm in Notting Hill - anyone out there knows what they are doing and are near me - i got some money for you to get it goin' right. ;) My nearest Indie place seems to be in Acton ...

Thanks both those rec's sound good ;) I'll give them a call tomorrow or Thu (more time then).

I did the throttle flap procedure i read elsewhere on the forums - turning ignition to 2, pressing acc. pedal right to the floor for a minute, turn off for 10 secs and drive off - this seem to have improved gear changes somehow ... it also made park and drive return to 600 rpm - the car did however stall three times in a row in traffic then didn't stall over the next 3 miles home - would temperature of the engine be a factor? I noticed the oil was a bit low on the level stick and plan to top up tomorrow ... Is that the correct throttle flap procedure? The chap who posted it didn't seem sure .. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've just watched an 18 min video on cleaning the throttle body etc - doesn't look too hard, can't imagine a mechanic would take more than an hour to clean the MAF and throttle body .... am i right? even replacing the maf looks 10 min job ... ;)

They are both very easy jobs...even a Girl can do it. ;)

is that the correct resetting the throttle flap procedure i described - i'd like to try to do it exactly right ... the video i watched on cleaning throttle body - the guy swears by Seafoam carb cleaner - do we have an as effective carb cleaner available in the likes of Halfords? ;)

you'll like this guys ... i bought the car off a guy who swore it was always looked after, slightest little thing it needed i got - fettled, serviced you name it ... i believed him and have been driving it for two weeks - then i check the oil eventually ( assuming he's done all that for me as i had asked him to before i picked up) - it took well over two litres to top it up ... (it was at the bottom of the dipstick) it is at the max level now, triple checked - seems to run even smoother (surprise surprise) and it never stalled going home this time - in park or drive! The gears change smoother since i did that the throttle flap procedure ... it has always idled well just it was occasionally cutting out in traffic ... can it just have been needing the oil topped up - as in it was just getting a little hotter than it should be - would that make it cut out in traffic?

I bought an aerosol of carb cleaner in a branch of ECP for £1.99 and it worked exactly as it should. It's also ideal for cleaning tools before putting them away.

I'd be cautious cleaning a maf, for fear of damaging the element, but do it carefully and you should be o.k.

Good to hear the oil top up has the car running bettr. Occam's razor strikes again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom