hi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ianswing

w/yorks with 2nd home in spain ..... (caravan actu
Car
Merc C-class 220
right then,new member,posted some pics of the car in new members section, as a total newby in regards to mercedes what engines mine ?? only seem to see W202/203 etc, mines a 95 220d would save me the hassle of trawling through the sections reading everything :thumb:, Car runs spot on,gearbox is fine kick down (if ya can reach it lol) works ok,but on light throttle openings it seems to change up very quickly compared to other auto's ive drove,is this normal :doh:
bit more boot and it appears to be fine,box oil was changed by merc on 68k its on 106k now so was wondering if it was a sign it needed changing,apart from that its brilliant,love the ride,whats the rush ??lol.will post better pics at the w/end. thanks..Ian w/york's

Hi and welcome to the forum

Hi Ianswing and welcome

Hi
95 220D would be a W210 chassis with a 16V OM604 engine?

Think the CDI is an OM611

Don't know the engine, but on my OM603 the shift points can be adjusted via the transmission Bowden cable attached to the throttle

cheers!

95 C Class would make yours a W202

Not familiar with your particular car but, if the 'box is upshifting early, it might be on comfort setting instead of standard.

there is usually a button next to the gear selector marked "C/S" or sometimes (IIRC) "W/S". One mode ("S") is standard, the other is "Comfort" or "Winter". In this mode, the car starts off in 2nd gear and upshifts very early.

it's the base model so no little switches on the console only the windows,in the service book its been changed twice 1st @ 35k and second at 73k its now on 108k which puts it at the same mileage interval so was wondering if that is a probable symptom :dk:?? apart from that ive no worries at the min,went through mot today ok,just an advisory for slight play in front top suspension arms which depending on my mileage could need doing before the next test,he says dont be panicking he was been picky cos he couldnt find anything lol, will have to check on the price of them,would prefer to do them now than when the weathers cold,damp and miserable....bit like now really :D lol, thanks for replies and now i know the model i can check out some "how too's" off the forum..

here she is freshly clayed and waxed at the w/end

P8201118.jpg

trapperjohn, cheers for the comment, I use simoniz jet black bumper restorer,tried a lot over my ample years :thumb: and this lasts for ages,just wipes over and shines again,got it from halfrauds to clean up my old scorpio in the spring but you hardly use any,which,been from yorkshire is the all important point :bannana::bannana:

You have the older 722.5 box that runs dextron II fluid. Should be changed every 36k.

Check engine to gearbox vac pipes for leaks and security.

Very nice looking. Welcome

Welcome!
Smart looking car. Great shine too. Any rust anywhere?

n/side rear w/arch at the back at top of rear bumper,that appears to my untrained eye to be it :thumb:,other arches have been cleaned out and wax-oiled behind the lip and look spot on,never had a merc before so dont really know of "problem areas" on this model :dk:,had read about body issues on certain models/years etc but nothing else.

P8201116.jpg

Problem rust areas on 202's are usually: Arches - all 4, bonnet - around grill mostly, and the boot lock area. If your really unlucky, you might get some along the bottom of the doors too. I think KillerHertz also noticed some can be found around the jacking points, but can't be 100% sure as my memory is crap :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom