HID Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DangerMouse786

Car
Mercedes C230 (2.5 v6)
Hi Guys,

i am thinking about getting a HID Conversion for my 55 plate c230 :bannana:.

i was just wondering if anyone else had done a HID conversion and was wondering what strength bulbs they put on.

i was thinking about getting the 6000k strength one but was unsure how they would look.

so it would great to get some feedback on anyone who has had a HID conversion done to the merc and what strength of bulb they got.

thank you for reading,
usman

You might want to look into the legality of aftermarket HID's before spending any money.

Personally, I think you should leave well alone for the sake of everyone else on the road.

Hey Guys,
thanks for the replies... i was looking to go with a company called autolights.co.uk

ive had a couple of people get them done from him (apparently he does Porsche in Stratford). he has done loads of cars. i was just wondering what colour to get. Someone mentioned it depends on the lens cover. ive read that the 6000k are legal and are the same colour as you get from factory.

il ldo a bit more reading into the legality of the lights however.

thanks for the replies...

If you read the link i posted , that's straight from the government , hence the dotgov address , can't get much more from the horses mouth then that ...

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Unless they are replacing the whole headlamp assembly ( hundreds , maybe thousands of ££ ) and fitting levelling sensors to the axles , and fitting headlamp washers , it isn't legal , regardless of what he says.

The light output from HID conversions is impressive.:D
Some of the light is nearly in the right place.:(
The legallity of these conversions is very dubious:confused:

But worst of all they 'can' mess up the CAN system on modern Mercedes.
I have had the experience! You have been warned!:crazy:

You might want to look into the legality of aftermarket HID's before spending any money.

Personally, I think you should leave well alone for the sake of everyone else on the road.

They are only legal when fitted to Projector headlights.

Fitted to standard headlamps you are breaking the law, very dazzling for other road user.... it's to do with the pattern on the lense, i think

Hey Guys,
thanks for the replies... i was looking to go with a company called autolights.co.uk

ive had a couple of people get them done from him (apparently he does Porsche in Stratford). he has done loads of cars. i was just wondering what colour to get. Someone mentioned it depends on the lens cover. ive read that the 6000k are legal and are the same colour as you get from factory.

I know that the "K" rating is the colour temp & not the brightness, the brightest is actually 4300K.. it is this type that is fitted to modern cars with Projector headlights

I got a set there were on a group buy from this very forum (the same one that dislikes sucj upgrades) - so far no complaints and no flashing from oncoming drivers either.

The law is actually a bit grey, the main issue will be one of E marking, the units are unlikely to be E marked in anything other than stamping.

If I remember correctly it was these guys whose kit I used.

Hi Tim ,

Which part of the link i posted and the paragraph i reproduced in bold is the grey area ?

Seems pretty clearly laid out ...

Saying that , i have a set of aftermarket HID's , but i don't try and kid myself that they are legal :eek:

Hi Tim ,

Which part of the link i posted and the paragraph i reproduced in bold is the grey area ?

Seems pretty clearly laid out ...

Saying that , i have a set of aftermarket HID's , but i don't try and kid myself that they are legal :eek:

Yes, I will also reiterate, as stated from the link Howard provided:

"In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps."

Yes, I will also reiterate, as stated from the link Howard provided:

"In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps."

The department's view is not law. In fact UK law (last time I could be bothered to check, and today is not gonna be another time) has no provision at all for HID lamps, they only exist on new cars because they are type approved in another EU member state (or something, I can't find the reference).

I'm yet to see anyone prosecuted specifically for converting lamps to HID, but they can be prosecuted for having malfuntioning, dangerous, improperly adjusted or even dirty lamps.

It may be splitting hairs, but that's the way I saw it when I looked up everything I could.

:thumb:

I'm not kidding myself about anything, it probably helps most of us as seeing HIDs on an MB isn't unusual, so unless they're glaringly bad you're not going to attract attention. Fit them to a Corsa B without projector lenses and you're asking for a tug...

The department's view is not law. In fact UK law (last time I could be bothered to check, and today is not gonna be another time) has no provision at all for HID lamps, they only exist on new cars because they are type approved in another EU member state (or something, I can't find the reference).

Yes, you're absolutely right on that one, I seem to recall the same information in that the only reason HID's can be used in the UK is that they are type approved in another EU state.

I take on board what you say, as far as bulbs / lighting is concerned they need to be 'E' marked. I believe that bit is law.

However as you say, the likelihood of being caught out are slim. I know of a couple of people with after market HID's with no headlight wash / self levelling that have had no trouble with the MOT or Police. However I've also driven in front or have been approached by other vehicles with really badly aligned HID kits.

They are only legal when fitted to Projector headlights.

Fitted to standard headlamps you are breaking the law, very dazzling for other road user.... it's to do with the pattern on the lense, i think
Not legal when fitted to any headlamp type but technically no better or worse for projectors.

If the HID replacement bulb is the same shape and light pattern output (just brighter) as the original bulbs then there will be no glare or scatter etc.

Some of the more expensive kits do this perfectly and make for an excellent upgrade.

I'm yet to see anyone prosecuted specifically for converting lamps to HID, but they can be prosecuted for having malfuntioning, dangerous, improperly adjusted or even dirty lamps.

It may be splitting hairs, but that's the way I saw it when I looked up everything I could.

The DOT does explain the rationale behind the statements , i expect they have thought through the wording and their statement quite well , i also suspect you would lose if it went to court.

As you say , because we drive MB's , and they have HID's , unless you were running a silly set of 12K purple ones , you wouldn't get stopped ...

I saw a G reg Fiesta the other day with some and thought ' He'll be getting a pull soon'

Hey Guys,

I believe the EU type approval headlamps are 4300K = slight blue when first switched on but brilliant white when it is warmed up.

having spoken to Autolights tonight, i have been told the following...

the whole light bracket will be replaced to fit the hid kit into the lens, a new modulator will be fitted so that the lights (as they run less power than normal bulbs) will not throw up an error on the computer system. saying that the bulb has gone.
also the lights will still be fully functional, as in they will move up and down like a normal car bulb.

also been told that they are the same colour and brightness as a merc with the factory fitted bulbs.

he advised not to go higher than 6000k as any higher looks riduclous and also will be very obvious to tell that they are not road legal.

he has done many c classes like mine and will show me video's and pic of the mercs he has done.

my only worry is, will my car pass an mot? he has assured me it will. and said, if it doesnt, he will give me a full refund, put my old bulbs and bracket in to the car and also let me keep the hid kit...

sounds like i cant really go wrong... he has assured me that they are exactly the same as colour/brightness and give the same effect as a merc with factory fitted hid's

dont think i can really go wrong with that. but ill do my reserach and read up about the points every one has made, which i am so greatful for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom