HID Downgrade? Another daft question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

computerman

Car
S55L AMG Beast and S600L Monster!
Anyone know if it's easy to "downgrade" from factory HIDs in my W220? It's a '99 model, and has just the dipped beam as HIDs, not a bi-xenon model.

What I wanted to investigate - is it possible to retrofit some after-market headlamp assemblies, and either incorporate the factor HIDs into them, with LEDs for full beam, or else downgrade the factory HIDs to an aftermarket set?

There's loads of info out there I've perused, but can't find this combination anywhere. All the cheaper aftermarket headlights seem to specify "not compatible with vehicles with factory-fit HIDs"... is this a wiring issue, a physical size or assembly constraint, a safety concern or something else? Is it not possible to transfer the HID bulb holders to an aftermarket reflector headlamp?

These maybe:
W220 1998-2005 98-05 LED DRL R8 Projector Headlight Chrome for Mercedes Benz 99 | eBay

or if not these:
W220 99-06 CCFL ANGEL EYE Pro HEADLIGHT for MERCEDES | eBay

or maybe even these:
Mercedes S-Class W220 1998-2005 Sal - Marelli Near Left Side Headlamp Headlight | eBay

And cheapest is these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...05&prg=11472&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=381039146318&rt=nc

I understand that the car has to be STARred to tell it its been upgraded to HID, so presumably the reverse applies if I rip out the factory HIDs and go aftermarket on those s well as the headlamps?

Confuzzed...

Last edited:
I'd of thought star would be needed to set xenons as 'not present' anymore, can't help on downgrade though, I'm doing the opposite of you at the minute! :)

Probably a number of things. Firstly, as mentioned you may need STAR to code the car for normal headlamps. Secondly, the wiring could be different (it's the same on a W210 but not sure on a W220). Thirdly, factory xenons will have self leveling so no internal adjustment. On a W210 the normal lights are adjusted via the vacuum system where as xenons have an electronic adjuster that controls the motor based on axle sensors. Your car may have similar system so it can be done but more difficult

Could you not just fit aftermarket hid's to main beam?, seems easier than changing lights and coding it with star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom