Hid kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueSteelPoser

Car
mercedes benz c class
Hi, bit of a newbie here.
Basically I have an 02 plate c200 kompresser, does anyone know if this model is the model in which the hid kits are simple plug and play?

Welcome to the forum.

Search the forum, HID kits generate a lot of strong feelings.

They are illegal unless you have self-levelling suspension and head lamp washers under the Construction and Use regulations.

HID bulbs are also not designed to be fitted to lights designed for halogen bulbs so the light pattern will not be optimum and is likely to cause dazzle to other vehicles.

Try some uprated halogen bulbs like Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Xtreme..

It might also be worth looking at the reflectors and lenses on your current headlamps for signs of degradation which could reduce light output.

Ah OK, I was advised that night breakers wernt really any different and also still a very yellow colour?

Advised by whom?

Normal halogen bulbs should not provide a yellow light.

As said if your reflectors, lenses etc are in poor condition then you will still have poor light output.

It might also be worth checking that you have a full 12V supply at the bulb, poor connections can cause voltage drops and affect light output.

Whatever, fitting HID lamps is not the answer.

Just a friend so not a solid source tbh.
I'll have a look into the night breakers then first as they are not too pricey. Thanks for your help

I have Nightbreakers, they are bright white (not yellow).

They don't have the bluish tint of HIDs though and they are not self-levelling.

Had HIDs on the previous car, definitely a nice-to-have feature, but I would not go OTT and have these retrofitted to a car that did not have them factory-fitted - sounds like a lot of trouble for the benefit.

One other advantage of HIDs is that they deteriorate over time but rarely 'blow' - I had my previous car for seven years and sold it with the original HID bulbs still in good working order, while the Nightbreakers last around a year or two at best (even the latest Nightbreaker Unlimited variant).

I fitted HiD kit and have been using it for a few months now, I have projector lights and have had the OK from MOT have not dazzled anyone and improved viability at night. fitted 6000k kit, have had no issues.

Except for can not leave lights on Auto, as they get a surge of current when car s started if they are already on, not too sure how this works, but the manual that came with the kit said it can damage the bulbs.

If you do not have projector style lights I would go for Night breakers as the beam pattern would be very messy and you risk blinding other drivers, and because the light is not directed it looks like a big blob of light which will not help with visibility.

I fitted HiD kit and have been using it for a few months now, I have projector lights and have had the OK from MOT have not dazzled anyone and improved viability at night. fitted 6000k kit, have had no issues.

Except for can not leave lights on Auto, as they get a surge of current when car s started if they are already on, not too sure how this works, but the manual that came with the kit said it can damage the bulbs.

If you do not have projector style lights I would go for Night breakers as the beam pattern would be very messy and you risk blinding other drivers, and because the light is not directed it looks like a big blob of light which will not help with visibility.

Hi There

Can you tell me where you sourced your projector headlights from?

Came with the car

H7 HID kits are for projector headlights.

H7R HID kits are for reflector headlights. These can still dazzle but set them correctly and they won't. It is idiots putting H7 HIDs in reflector headlights that give them a bad name and have made them illegal to do.

Even with projector I wouldnt go over 6000k, as it defeats the purpose of upgrading to HID lights.
anything over 6000K is basically a waste.
So, what is the best bulb? IMO the 4300K is the best, as it has the highest light output. The problem, though, is that they have a yellow-ish tinge to them that some people find un-attractive. In that case, 5000-6000k is a better choice for you..... as they have a more blue look to them. but a good quaility kit will not look too blue or chav like.

Also ensure you buy a canbus compatible kit, otherwise you will have bulb warning messages and strange electrical issues.

got my kit off ebay, can not find the link but was around £30 inc delivery

4300k everytime, any higher than that and you are just making it stand out too much, not great when you are not meant to have them.

4300k xenons look really white next to the best/whitest looking halogens from Philips or Osram, well in a projector lens anyway, maybe not as much in a reflector?

have not dazzled anyone

How would you no know that?

I doubt you stop and ask every driver who passes you the other way and just because they didn't swerve and crash - doesn't mean they didn't get dazzled...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom