Hid kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
CLK320x. what size of bulbs are in your headlights 35w or 55w

In my previous car, which had projectors I went through both LED and HID. In my opinion the led gives very good light output up close, but the drop off is very sudden. I would say possibly a tad less range than halogens. Upside being there is no warm up time for these. The hid takes a few seconds to warm up but once that is done the performance is next level. The light output is much better, so is the range and I passed my mot with them in the car. Have used hid in previous to that car as well and never had a single issue. In the Mercedes they even managed to fit in the housing so even the mot testers were fooled into thinking it had xenons as standard.

Legal or not, worth the risk or not, that is for the OP to decide pros and cons and make his own mind up. Telling someone not to do something will make them want to do it even more. All I would say is read up on the matter and decide for yourself.

2x H7 499 Bulb SAMSUNG High Power 15W LED HeadLight Main Daytime Fog Light White | eBay

Read the feedback comments...... :eek:

You only have to look at the pictures of those ebay H7 LEDs to know they are going to be rubbish. As I mentioned earlier the only replacement LED bulbs that stand any chance of working properly are those that mimic the size and position of the standard filament. You need the light source at the focal point of the reflector. Anything with multiple LEDs like that will scatter light all over the place.

...All the talk about what is legal or not legal is irrelevant without a mechanism to police the problem. The MOT needs a tougher more detailed test on headlights to make sure they are safe for other road users.

True, but only up to a point. In the event of a serious incident, not doubt the insurer will take interest in any 'undeclared modification'... let alone any 'illegal' ones.

Basically I am looking for a hid kit that is error free for my ML
With ballasts that doesn't give of much heat so that I can mount
them in the light housing does anyone know of any such kit I have
Heard about one called hylux has anyone used them or know about
them

Well apparently it can be done well... LED headlamps... so the question is if the aftermarket kits are any good.

When the reflector and lens are designed from scratch for an LED light source then it can be done very well. The issue with after market conversions is the reflector and lens were not designed for an LED light source.

I thought the guy in the review had it right. After market LEDs are great for brake lights or other unfocused applications but they are not there yet for headlights. The LED bulbs he used did at least try to mimic the size and position of a normal filament so they were a good effort and yet still not good enough.

Basically I am looking for a hid kit that is error free for my ML
With ballasts that doesn't give of much heat so that I can mount
them in the light housing does anyone know of any such kit I have
Heard about one called hylux has anyone used them or know about
them

Replied to your PM. Let me know if there are any issues and you didnt get it. Just to add, the ballasts did fit in the housing as well.

Bit of an update on my LED Headlight conversion if anyone's interested.

THe fan-cooled LED bulbs arrived, but were slightly too large in diameter to get through the notoirious adapter plate that Mercedes say doesn't exist (but we all have them anyway).

I could have Dremelled the hole in the plate a bit more, but it's already getting a bit flimsy, so I bottled-out.

Back to China with these Bulbs! Rejected for the very good reason that they don't fit the cars the seller says they do....

The search continues.....

Due to the cooling problem, physical size is one of the issues with development of a generic LED replacement lamp. Were your LED's the ones with the fan on the end of the lamp and therefore inside the housing ?

I posted something along these lines a few weeks ago together with a lamp that was trying to address the space issues.

Be aware that any LED replacement lamp including the Philips one being mentioned will have a heat rejection problem to contend with. Of the currently available ones, some have cooling fans, some rigid heat sinks or in some cases a flexible braided heat sink in an attempt to get around the space issue. You will need to ensure the heat sink or fan can be physically accommodated on your particular car.

h4r3__99139.1452030364.451.416.jpg

Replied to your PM. Let me know if there are any issues and you didnt get it. Just to add, the ballasts did fit in the housing as well.

Hi. I'd be interested in the kit with ballast that fit into thev housing too please.
I'm currently using Ring Ultima 120 but they are only marginally better than the OE bulbs I've replaced. My other car has adaptive Bi-Xenons and they make the SLK's dipped lights appear feeble in comparison.
I fitted a HID kit into my Volvo V70 with specially masked bulbs which didn't dazzle oncoming drivers. They transformed night driving.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom