HID or Xenon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
Excuse the ignorance for a moment,it's only cus I dont know much about the subject (halogen born and bred) But is there a difference or does it mean the same with the lights

I may stand corrected later on but...

"High Intensity Discharge" describes the bulb technology where by a high voltage sparks across a gas filled tube. (Typically a noble gas such as Xenon or Neon for a coloured effect )

Gaseous atoms, once energised by the high voltage spark, continue to give out an intense light output with only a modest sustaining voltage.

The excitation of gas molecules gives a much greater light output than a filament 'slowly-burning' in a vacumm or another inert gas such as Halogen.

HID options are heavily premium priced to cash in on early adoptors etc but should dramatically fall in price in the years to come.

Andrew

Last edited:
I was just browsing and come across this on another forum and was wondering if this may well eventually effect europe as well?

LINKY

Originally posted by pluggers
I was just browsing and come across this on another forum and was wondering if this may well eventually effect europe as well?
Hmm...maybe. OEM HID upgrades should be ok, and OEM style upgrades where the whole housing, reflector, motors/wiring and glass etc is replaced will probably be fine too. They are banning the type of kit that *just* replaces the bulb with a xenon capsule and a pile of wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom