HID Xenon Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyjester900

Car
C200 W202
Trying to learn a bit more about this setup.
i am thinking of investing in this for my car.

I drive a 1996 C200 W202
just wondering if anyone knows the exact specs
of the kit i would have to buy?

Cheers guys

Brad

I have those. No issues, not too bad to fit (well, I was able to do it), bright as OEM....

Last edited:
Most of those kits are illegal/not-road-legal if you do not fit self-levelling headlamps, headlamp washers and change the lense.

I wont get into that argument again though, maybe someone else will - it's quite well documented on the forum and off. I'll just quote the DfT
In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Michele

Last edited:
Most of those kits are illegal/not-road-legal if you do not fit self-levelling headlamps, headlamp washers and change the lense.

I wont get into that argument again though, maybe someone else will - it's quite well documented on the forum and off. I'll just quote the DfT

Michele

Yes in the UK that is correct, however the vehicle/owner :) Location: Melbourne, Australia :D

Might be the case in OZ too of course ;)

I think a lot of guys here have these kits, and they all pass the MOT as it is not a "pass" requirement to check under the bonnet if you have a kit. Providing they meet the criteria for lighting-- beam pattern and they are bright enough ( which they are! )

Yes in the UK that is correct, however the vehicle/owner :) Location: Melbourne, Australia :D

Might be the case in OZ too of course ;)

Second time today I make that mistake! Sorry, my fault!

Has anyone here got a kit and been through an MOT? :)
Passing an MoT does not mean you are not carrying illegal items on your car. I could pass an MoT on a that has cocaine-stuffed seats, guns in the glovebox and a hostage in the boot (do they check the boot? can't remember!)

It's like illegal licence plates. The car will most probably pass as most MoT stations just don't have the time to check (or are told to close a blind eye) but should "someone" be looking for a reason to cause you trouble you would be giving it to them on a silver platter. I accept that risk when I will finally put on my licence plates without the manufacturer's address on them.

There are few things more annoying than having a corsa behind you with purple/blue HID beams that are far too powerful, mis-aligned and don't level out when the car goes over rough terrain. (except for maybe the same corsa coming in the opposite direction). No offence to Corsa owners, it could be a punto as well :p

On a more constructive note, a quick glance around the net seems to suggest that unless the HID kit is appoved by 'the ADR' it is illegal in Oz - and illegal for low-beams altogether. There seem to be a few ADR approved kits on the net as well, so you may be in luck!

For the UK: One final note; be wary of aftermarket kits. While you may avoid the fine, potential voiding of your insurance and other problems associated; you will most probably be dazzling other road users. Especially if you choose one of those blue/purple things that the human iris does not respond to!

Michele

There are few things more annoying than having a corsa behind you with purple/blue HID beams that are far too powerful, mis-aligned and don't level out when the car goes over rough terrain. (except for maybe the same corsa coming in the opposite direction). No offence to Corsa owners, it could be a punto as well :p

Yes i'm sure your first ever car was a mercedes. I'm sure you've never driven a small car in your life.

Has anyone here got a kit and been through an MOT? :)

Yea, me, went fine.

Last edited:
There are few things more annoying than having a corsa behind you with purple/blue HID beams that are far too powerful, mis-aligned and don't level out when the car goes over rough terrain. (except for maybe the same corsa coming in the opposite direction).
Firstly, mis-aligned headlamps is an MOT failure and IMHO should be inspected on ALL vehicles whether they are 3-years old and above or not.

Secondly, how are you expecting the level to change while driving?

There is no gyroscope in use here I'm afraid!

What I was getting at is that self-levelling uses suspension squat sensors in the front and rear axle to work out how much load there is in the front or rear of the car and then DURING STARTUP the level is set. No further level checking is carried out until the next time the ignition is turned on.

What I was getting at is that self-levelling uses suspension squat sensors in the front and rear axle to work out how much load there is in the front or rear of the car and then DURING STARTUP the level is set. No further level checking is carried out until the next time the ignition is turned on.

I know this to be the case on w202's, but I thought that there was a system that constantly adjusts the headlights on other makes? as I thought BMW had this system fitted.

Mine constantly re-level etc but they also swivel so I'm not sure how the older systems would work. As Shude says it may well be that on a W202 they only use to level on start up and then that was it.

Mine constantly re-level etc but they also swivel so I'm not sure how the older systems would work. As Shude says it may well be that on a W202 they only use to level on start up and then that was it.
I am not aware of any vehicles further adjusting after the initial check.

I'm sure that I've read somewhere (ages ago) how autolevel works and and why HIDs are so expensive (were at that time).
It was due to extras like gyroscope...

(or I'm completely wrong and mixed some topics!)

I know that BMWs have autolevel working all the time (try sitting on the bonnet to see what I mean)

Cheers
Chris

Yes i'm sure your first ever car was a mercedes.
Actually... yes! The first car I ever drove was my father's S-class (W140 if I'm not mistaken), and the first car I ever owned was a W202.

I'm sure you've never driven a small car in your life.
Only car's I've rented... it's nothing to do with the size - it's about not caring about other road users that gets to me!

Firstly, mis-aligned headlamps is an MOT failure and IMHO should be inspected on ALL vehicles whether they are 3-years old and above or not.

Secondly, how are you expecting the level to change while driving?
I agree with the first part; the second part I was under the impression that your headlamps adjusted wile you drove and not only on startup. Otherwise, if you started your car on a hill and then drove onto a flat road your headlamps would be grossly misaligned...

I may be wrong though...

Michele

not sure how much this will help U:

1st- AFAIK it is illegal without proper lenses + auto-leveling + washer.

That said my Seat Toledo (which I still own) was retrofitted with a good quality kit some 6 yrs ago and is still working great. Had no problem glaring oncoming traffic until clear lenses became too pitted and had to swap headlamps (this year). Always passed local MOT (I live in Portugal), which doesn't make it legal, and have never had problem with Mr. Police officer.

A little how-to for the Seat that I wrote some years ago:
http://seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=6

Bi-Xenon Range Control

Xenonrangecontrol.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom