Hidden domestic speakers that reproduce proper HiFi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi All

I'm just about to embark on another major house refurb and SWMBO has expressed a dislike for my fantastic Monitor Audio's.

So here we go again - I've got to look for some discrete speakers (that don't sound awful). Don't get me wrong - I don't mind satellite speakers for TV/Film surround sound. I don't really like TV or films so am happy to stick any old rubbish in the TV room. And ceiling mounts are out as I don't live in a airport lounge.

So I suppose that leaves flat panel speakers which are really designed for TV's and have lukewarm reviews from critics in terms of reproducing music.

Or plaster-in speakers.

Has anybody looked into any of this?

Thanks

We've worked with these guys in the past and they have been very good (unlike their google reviews). Pricey but you get what you want - might be worth a trip to the showroom if only to get some ideas.

Ade

know exactly what you mean, SWMBO objected to having a pair of KEF 104's in our front room (2 bed terrace) said they were too big, I don't understand why? So I replaced with Monitor Audio Studio 10's this lasted for a few years but again faced your problem. At present using the AV system on the TV until I can re-do the frint room.

A good excuse to get some of these Quad ESL 2805 Electrostatic Speakers Pair at Audioaffair, slim and will not intrude too much, price is a bit heavy but the sound is something else.

Or these Amina AIW5 In Wall Speaker at Audioaffair not convinced by in wall speakers but who knows

or the more sensible option Acoustic Energy Aelite On Wall Speaker at Audioaffair also mean you can move them without major surgery should SWMBO wants to change things around.

Time to go and find a good hi-fi shop

Afraid I'm old school, speakers and diesel engines are two things you buy by weight.

Speaking as a separated / divorcee, women are easier to replace that decent audio kit. YMMV.

Have you looked at Bose speakers - tiny!! They have a shop at Designer Outlet Ashford (not far from J10 M20).

know exactly what you mean, SWMBO objected to having a pair of KEF 104's in our front room (2 bed terrace) said they were too big, I don't understand why? So I replaced with Monitor Audio Studio 10's this lasted for a few years but again faced your problem. At present using the AV system on the TV until I can re-do the frint room.

A good excuse to get some of these Quad ESL 2805 Electrostatic Speakers Pair at Audioaffair, slim and will not intrude too much, price is a bit heavy but the sound is something else.

Or these Amina AIW5 In Wall Speaker at Audioaffair not convinced by in wall speakers but who knows

or the more sensible option Acoustic Energy Aelite On Wall Speaker at Audioaffair also mean you can move them without major surgery should SWMBO wants to change things around.

Time to go and find a good hi-fi shop

Thanks! The Quads are over my budget (!), I'll have a look at the Amina's and Acoustic Energy's.

I went through this (sort of) when I launched myself into the home cinema/AV abyss.

One thing I was very keen on was the sound reproduction of various speaker installations. My missus (what is it with women?:rolleyes:) also didn't like the thought or look of big hefty cabinet-type speakers. I asked about conventional cabinets, and even the NXT flat-panel type.

The hifi gurus all said the same thing. Flat panel systems, and small boxes, are all well and good (when used in conjunction with a sub) and will reproduce decent film soundtracks, but a true audiophile would not settle on such an installation for listening to music. They cannot reproduce the subtle nuances of music.

Fine if you're into loud bangs and crashes (and heavy metal music:devil: - same thing!), but limited use if you like proper symphonic reproduction to your music. This can only be done by using proper quality cabinets. Old-fashioned, yes, but it's still the right way to do it - properly.

Afraid I'm old school, speakers and diesel engines are two things you buy by weight.

Minor correction; speakers, petrol engines and diesel engines are three things you buy by weight.

I won battle one of the house move - the V8 E500 one.

Battle two is the audio system - the architect is now onside.....

Battle three is the garden design

SWMBO can win the war over all the rest as I really don't care beyond those three things

(note SWMBO seems to have forgotten that items 1, 2 and 3 weren't supposed to be battles - these were the jobs I was doing....*sigh*)

I went through this (sort of) when I launched myself into the home cinema/AV abyss.

One thing I was very keen on was the sound reproduction of various speaker installations. My missus (what is it with women?:rolleyes:) also didn't like the thought or look of big hefty cabinet-type speakers. I asked about conventional cabinets, and even the NXT flat-panel type.

The hifi gurus all said the same thing. Flat panel systems, and small boxes, are all well and good (when used in conjunction with a sub) and will reproduce decent film soundtracks, but a true audiophile would not settle on such an installation for listening to music. They cannot reproduce the subtle nuances of music.

Fine if you're into loud bangs and crashes (and heavy metal music:devil: - same thing!), but limited use if you like proper symphonic reproduction to your music. This can only be done by using proper quality cabinets. Old-fashioned, yes, but it's still the right way to do it - properly.

Yup - my conclusion too.

They ok at best and rubbish if you are after "proper hifi"

Yeah the first thing the Mrs said when I put on a CD in our rented house was "why does the music sound so bad"......

I just pointed at the Bose speakers the landlord had kindly left behind. They look nice but don't work for my ears, at any rate. Or not for music anyway

My Monitor Audios (and the rest of my kit) are sitting in storage at the moment.

Martin Logan Passage speakers could suit your needs. Check absolutesounds.co.uk for info.

Take a look at the Wilson-Benesch range too. Not flat panel or built in, but there are options for small(ish) satellites with a high WAF which work very well with their sub.

Buy the cheapest crappiest flat panel speakers that you can.
Turn down the bass, and turn up the treble on the hi-fi.
When her ladyship complains that it is dreadful, and she can't hear what they are saying, say.....

"I told you so"

And then go and get the speakers you want.

Please feel free to ask if you need any more advice on how to get what you want with a woman.

Buy the cheapest crappiest flat panel speakers that you can.
Turn down the bass, and turn up the treble on the hi-fi.
When her ladyship complains that it is dreadful, and she can't hear what they are saying, say.....

"I told you so"

And then go and get the speakers you want.

I can absolutely vouch for this approach. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom