Hidden or not very well documented "features" on your Mercedes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbsilver

Car
Nissan QQ
Are there things that you have noticed that weren't in the brochure ?

I noticed there wasn't a brochure!

My CLS has got this hidden feature that just when you think that you up to date with the maint and repairs then something else goes wrong . Nothing about this in the sales blurb.

On a plus side i never run out of password suggestions for the monthly update in work.

This month it is - FrontspringXX , last month it was - GlowplugXX , the month previous it was - Discs+padsXX.

If i had bought a Lexus i would have to resort to family / dog / holiday names and where would the fun be in that.

Kenny

The blue letter "P" that comes on when it thinks there's a parking space ahead.

Well, the various 'hidden' menus, e.g. COMAND/Audio20, instrument cluster..... the clue is in the name ;)

Had a new windscreen fitted to my 2011 E class this week and discovered that the base of the screen has heating elements where the wipers sit parked which heat up when you put the demist onto the windscreen.

Only had the car 6 years and driven loads of miles in it but never noticed.

The blue square with white P that comes up on mine is certainly to indicate a parking space.

Used to be hold gear shifter left, or hold change down button for a second the gearbox would select best gear for acceleration.

One I discovered on my previous E55 and I notice mine does it too - if you are driving along and you feel the car could do with changing up, even when you are in C/S mode, press the + paddle / button or even nudge the gear select lever to the right and it will still change up.

The blue paper comes on when you drive below 20 mph, and it looks for a space that you drive by, not in front of you.
It only indicates a parking place that's suitable once you have driven by it,then it will give you an option to self park itself.
The blue P itself is only comes on to show you have park assist switched on.

The blue paper comes on when you drive below 20 mph, and it looks for a space that you drive by, not in front of you.
It only indicates a parking place that's suitable once you have driven by it,then it will give you an option to self park itself.
The blue P itself is only comes on to show you have park assist switched on.

You do know it's not blue paper that comes on? :D

Think you're being a bit pedantic there. We all knew what Mike meant regarding the P

I recently found out that if you're driving along with any Windows or sunroof open and you press the 'Air recirculation' button the Windows and sunroof will close automatically. Then reopen when you next press the button. Thought that was fairly neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're at traffic lights and press the brake pedal a little harder, that blue P turns into the word HOLD, and you can take your foot off the brake without it creeping forward.

A noticeable thing I found on my W213 a while ago was that it had some form of remote sensor for opening the boot lid. In other words, stick your foot under the rear of the car, wag it about a bit and the boot will theoretically open. I say theoretically as this was a feature I always struggled with as mine never did it like they show in their videos...

Unfortunately I only found out about this feature when I had the car on the ramp and walked underneath it with the key in my pocket. Boot opened though fortunately was stopped from opening all the way by a strategically placed roof light. No damage done to either car or light though a lesson was learnt...

In mine, it took a bit of time to get used to the Blue P!

It comes on if the car is going over 20MPH, and it's sort of looking for parking spaces. When you see one, drive your car slowly past the space, and an arrow will appear, which is telling you that you can engage auto parking and it does the rest.

It took me a bit of time to suss this out as you have to drive past the space by at least half a cars length. For about the first year I thought it was rubbish as the arrow never appeared.

Then my wife explained to me what I was doing wrong. :eek:

My car was delayed (isn't everyones?) when I ordered it, but I had downloaded the handbook to my iPad and read everything twice. There's some stuff with Comand I just haven't got around to doing, and neither have I uploaded all my music to the car. I just use the radio or my phone when I get bored of the radio.

Best gizmo? Mercedes Benz Adaptive Highbeam Assist. It's marvellous.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of high beam assist, I find it gets it wrong quite often or is slow to go back to high beam. I'll stick with it because I'm lazy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom