Hidden Speed Cameras M1 and M25

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Sorry to keep harping on about me Origin Blue.
But I drove upto the Midlands at the weekend and was shocked about hidden cameras. On the M25 in the Traffic Calming Area (variable speed limit) they have cameras every other gantry 3 in a row.
Also I was aware of SPECS on the M6 around Birmingham. But did you know that Southbound M1 just before M25 turn off they have SPECS.
SPECS (DVDD) Cameras
SPECS cameras use number plate recognition technology. The registration numbers of every passing vehicle are stored in a series of cameras sited on a stretch of road; as the precise distance between the cameras is known, and the precise time at which every number plate passes by, the average speed of every vehicle can easily be calculated. Tickets will be issued to every vehicle travelling at a speed over a pre-determined threshold.

SPECS cameras do not 'flash' at any vehicles, and can work in all weather conditions. They are already live in some parts of the country, and usage is set to expand.
For those that don t know these don t flash. I believe they take a picture of every Reg plate from the gantrys and calculate the time and distance giving speed. First you know is when you get a ticket in the post.

Oh does anyone else know of SPECS in any other area?

Cheers
Ian

Gatso Funny page

There are quite a few in and around Northampton. I have seen these:

A43 from the A45 to Moulton, 50mph speed limit.
Lumbertubs Way.
Kingsthorpe Hollow.

I think the moral of the story is if you want to speed, go buy an old XR3i for peanuts, never register it to yourself and treat it as a disposable item every time it needs road tax.

Last edited:
I thought on the main motorways in the midlands/south east the only SPECS camera's were at roadworks.

On the MI southbound approaching M25 you are lucky if you can do 60mph let alone 70+.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom