High Beam Assist not working on ILS headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommo159

Car
C350e & GLC250d
Hi All and Merry Christmas

Just bought an approved used GLC250d from Peterborough Mercedes.
It has the Intelligent Lighting System but when you switch on full beam, it does it as it would without high beam assist. The cornering function works and the lights move around when driving. I have actived the ILS in the dash but it it still only does normal high beam. The vehicle spec sheet shows the following (below), so it should be available. Am I doing something wrong?

611 AMBIENT ILLUMINATION
628 AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH PLUS (IHC+)
641 DYNAMIC LED HEADLAMPS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC

Thanks

Steve

When you push the stalk forward for main beam an "A" should appear in the instrument display.

What makes you think it’s not working?

When you push the stalk forward for main beam an "A" should appear in the instrument display.

Thanks, that definitely does not happen. I am convinced that the car has it but Mercedes cannot confirm.... When I put on high beam I just get the blue light showing high beam on the dash...

For Info: The LED headlights have Intelligent Lighting System inscribed in the light itself.

Only that you need to take it off high beam to stop blinding people.
Are people flashing you in protest?

The blue high beam on the dash stays on but the beam pattern changes to accommodate other vehicles.

I think the auto high beam also only works when the headlamp switch is set to auto rather than on, worth checking

Are people flashing you in protest?

The blue high beam on the dash stays on but the beam pattern changes to accommodate other vehicles.

My only experience of an equivalent to this system was adaptive lighting with Xenon lights on a Volvo S60 which was very clearly controlling the beam to oncoming vehicles. With this one it appears to be doing nothing with high beam forming with approaching traffic on dark lanes in Sussex. If I turn on high beam when following vehicles, it appears to me that the beam is full force and does not darken to accommodate the vehicle as the Volvo used to do. This system is a massive plus to me so I really want it to be there

I think the auto high beam also only works when the headlamp switch is set to auto rather than on, worth checking

Thanks for your time. Normally only leave lights on Auto, so glad that this is the expected way of controlling them.

Only other thing I can think of is to check that the headlights are set for driving on the left in the menu.

Only other thing I can think of is to check that the headlights are set for driving on the left in the menu.

Hi Kianok, thanks for your response, yes they are on the left. The manual suggests that an A should be in the lighting symbol which is not there. However the spec sheets suggests that it should be unless anyone else can confirm or deny this for me.

Have a look through the menu system. If you're not getting the letter A on the dash and no warnings that the system has a fault, I can only think it has been turned off in the menu somewhere?

With the stalk pushed forward you should have an A on the dash if the lights are on.

Thanks, I need to wait until dark now as it has bright sunlight on it

It should still have a A on the dash even in sunshine, just means the headlights will not come on until dark enough.

The system must be switched off somewhere or else you would have a warning that it was not working.

It should still have a A on the dash even in sunshine, just means the headlights will not come on until dark enough.

The system must be switched off somewhere or else you would have a warning that it was not working.

Is there another place apart from the centre console that will turn it on/ off? I can’t see it in the manual

Tried last night and with lights on Auto the green lights icon is lit on the dash and the lights do their calibration dance. I push the high beam lever forward and straight away the high beam lights up and the blue light is lit on the dashboard (without an "A"). I pull the lever back and high beam goes off.... I have emailed the dealer to see what they suggest and to confirm that build item 628 is the technology I am expecting.
Thanks for all of your input and suggestions so far
Steve

Used mine last night,magic, unlit road beam up, pass neon lit shops on poorly lit road beam long dip, vehicle approach short dip, bend in unlit road, beam uppish and left, or right, come up behind moving vehicle beam dipped before you blind him in his mirrors, inky black night, beam wide and long. Magic, hope you get it sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom