High beam assist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are right Diesel Benz! I just spoke to my dealer and the high beam assist (now called Intelligent Light System) is an option with standard LED headlamps.

To me, this is a big step back for MB considering my 2011 W212 with bi-Xenon headlights had them.

MB pride themselves on safety but that is a safety feature taken away

But the ILS on the 212 was not standard across the specs either. It was Avantgarde and up that had it on pre facelift. On the facelift it was only stardard on the night edition pack that came along.

This has solved my confusion I think.
I've got a facelift W204 and the datacard lists:

608 AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH (IHC)
621 HEADLAMP WITH ILS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC

I was under the impression that ILS is something different to IHC, but they are both the same thing?

This has solved my confusion I think.
I've got a facelift W204 and the datacard lists:

608 AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH (IHC)
621 HEADLAMP WITH ILS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC

I was under the impression that ILS is something different to IHC, but they are both the same thing?

How did you conclude the two being the same thing?

Just from this thread, am I wrong?
I can’t see that my lights do anything different apart from high beam assist

I'm in a similar boat. Gone from a S212 to a 2013 facelift W212. Gained 641 LED ILS high-performance but lost auto hi-beam.

Am I also correct in assuming I don't have the lights the modify the hi-beam around other vehicles?

Before I go around blinding people :-0

641 has the capability. But other parts needed. Send me your VIN number !
R

641 has the capability. But other parts needed. Send me your VIN number !
R

WDD2122742A760395

Haha looked it up and the app was using my old car VIN probably why the cockpit dials on the app have stopped working.

Last edited:
Thanks Richard

:)

Steedt. You have code 621 (ILS but not LED) headlights on that car with 608 (High Beam Assist). So if your high beam assist is not working you either have not set the headlight switch to AUTO, or not pushed the lever to high-beam (or both, or something is broken)

R

Steedt. You have code 621 (ILS but not LED) headlights on that car with 608 (High Beam Assist). So if your high beam assist is not working you either have not set the headlight switch to AUTO, or not pushed the lever to high-beam (or both, or something is broken)

R

Hi Richard

The Mercedes Me adapter app has switched to my old car. It had stopped displaying bits and bobs, I didn’t understand why. When I initially posted my Vin it was for my old car from the app. Which had auto lights.

I did correct my post but guess you’d already hoovered up the wrongly posted VIN.
The correct VIN is WDD2122742A760395. Should be E63 not E350.

Sorry for confusion.

Should be E63 not E350.
If it’s a facelift E63 then it definitely has the LED ILS system that masks light from oncoming vehicles or those being followed.

As Richard said earlier, either the lights aren’t set to Auto, the main beam switch isn’t pushed forward, or something’s broken. One other thing to check in the Lighting menu is that the car isn’t set for right hand traffic as that disables the ILS main beam masking function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will have to go out tonight, have another look and report back. Only had this car 10 days so still learning some of the subtle changes to my previous pre facelift E350s.

Lights set to LHD Traffic, rotary switch to auto and stick forward gives me hi beam. Can't recall seeing any 'A' symbol like my previous 212's (LOL perhaps there wasn't one, but I'm sure there was). Maybe it assumes you know its auto? Which I don't seem to.

Also pretty sure Auto Hi Beam was a selectable option in the menu.

Okay so just been out. I don’t think my Intelligent [Sic] Lights are that clever. Definitely didn’t feel like any shaping going on. Got flashed by Police X5.

Photos below dipped beam and hi beam. Would have blinded that driver if it wasn’t a parked car.

So maybe it was for later cars?

C1353A7E-33DB-4456-97FC-EF58B9F57E3F.jpegF8DC23D9-5E14-4619-8C31-5BC290E794D2.jpeg8D67E3D3-D555-413C-90C2-299CD538FD54.jpeg

Okay so just been out. I don’t think my Intelligent [Sic] Lights are that clever.

You don't have them, because the dash would have a white headlight symbol with an "A" for auto in the middle to show they are on, and also, fullbeam will not operate in built up areas or below 34mph.

Last edited:
Ive checked the data card for the E63. You have ILS, but you do not have high-beam assist. It can be retrofitted - although I need to check how much the software licence etc costs

Richard

Ive checked the data card for the E63. You have ILS, but you do not have high-beam assist.
How odd. I genuinely thought all facelift E63’s had LED ILS with high-beam assist.

Every day’s a school day, as they say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom