High curb impact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fredfoxuk2

Car
CLA 200 Coupe (C118)
Had to swerve to avoid a collision and hit a curb with the front drivers side wheel. The alloy is scrapped as you'd expect, there's no vibration or increased road noise and the car doesn't pull one way or another and the tyre pressure is stable. It was an "A" road dual carriageway and I was overtaking a lorry, so was probably doing about 65.
However, with the steering wheel straight, the car will steer to the left, so I have to drive with the steering wheel over to the right.
It's booked in for Friday and I'm not driving it until then (about 10 miles to the garage) - any idea if I'm looking at a bent steering component or just tracking?

Certainly sounds like somethings bent, but your contradicting yourself as in your first paragraph you say its fine and in the second its not, so i am basing my thoughts on the second, hope its not bad!

Certainly sounds like somethings bent, but your contradicting yourself as in your first paragraph you say its fine and in the second its not, so i am basing my thoughts on the second, hope its not bad!
I know it's a bit of a contradiction :) the car drives and handles exactly as it did before, except for the position of the steering wheel to keep driving straight.

I managed something similar. Most things worked fine except that the steering wheel was offset 45 degrees in order to drive straight, and ESP threw an error. A check of the front suspension revealed nothing obvious - both lower arms looked to be the right length, but then they are bent by design. When replacing them, I found the rear arm was very slightly deformed, only noticeable when comparing the old & new arms side-by-side. This shortened the duff one by 2-3 millimetres - not enough to measure easily when it's still on the vehicle. Replaced both lower arms & the steering went back to normal. A geometry check & adjustment and everything has been fine since, no abnormal tyre wear. I did have to replace the wheel bearing as well, but that was probably exacerbated by old age, both sides needed doing.
The front steering geometry seems very sensitive to even small variations in lower arm length.
Ian.

If it drives well, the wheel may not be scrap - could possibly repaired. Best case is you have knocked the geometry out and it requires a new tie rod. Worse case is you have bent something else and it requires replacing.

Luckily, only tracking / alignment :)

Attached picture of front wheel and the 4 wheel alignment.
No steering wheel problems and drives great.
Huge relief that I haven't had to spend a fortune on repairs.

Attachments

• PXL_20201218_131616066.jpg
    PXL_20201218_131616066.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20201218_132644982.jpg
    PXL_20201218_132644982.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
I cannot see the sense in that. If the steering was fine until you hit the kerb and after it the steering was out then there must be a bent track rod as the rods are locked. Adjusting the tracking would just centralize the steering. It will not straighten the rod so further inspection is required. I would say the lower arm is not damaged as if it was no amount of tracking would put that right.

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom