High level brake light removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djuk

Car
Volvo XC70
The high level brake light has packed up on my E300 TD Estate and the handbook states that "work on the high-mounted brake lamp should only be carried out by specially trained personnel".

I am not a mechanic, but surely it can't be that difficult can it? - I thought this after changing the high level brake light bulb on my wifes Volvo estate but it doesn't appear immediatly obvious how to remove the rear door lining on my E300 TD to get at the high level brake light so could anybody tell me how to remove this please. I would prefer not to be screwed by MB so any help would be gratefully appreciated...........

Hi

Have a go at it, it was simple enough from memory. Remove the cover at the bottom, i think ypou have to remove screws or bolts on the pull down strap the the lining pushes up to remove it from the door.

It was a long time ago that i did this a take the above only as an indication, can't even go outside to look at the car either.

Good luck

Many thanks Dieselman and 230K, I will now have a go at fixing the problem myself and post my experience here afterwards to hopefully help others. Thanks very much for your advice this forum is brilliant but only because guys like you contribute so much, thanks again your advice is very much appreciated.

Job done.....

I managed to do this without too much trouble, as described by your replies. Removed plastic trim by easing out the plastic rivets with a small screwdriver. TIP: They are different sizes so note where each one came from. Next unscrew the leather strap and door catch, after removing these the door panel slid off by pushing it towards the front of the car (i.e. in an upwards direction towards the top of the back window) allowing me to change the bulb. Another TIP: I found the easiest way to slide the door panel back on was by sitting on the back of the tailgate with the door nearly closed on the top of my legs and slide the panel downwards while pushing it in so that the four clips on the back of the panel slide into the corresponding slots in the door. Many thanks again guys - a mate of mine let me have a replacement bulb for free so apart from the 20 mins or so to do the job you saved me a small fortune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom