High level brake light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike

Car
2005 slk200 auto tip in black
Has anyone retro fitted a high level brake light to a w202 ? mine is a 1997 elegance facelift model but doesnt have a high level brake light and from reading other threads a number of other things seem missing from my facelift model...perhaps mine was an early facelift..any help appreciated

Originally posted by mike
...and from reading other threads a number of other things seem missing from my facelift model...perhaps mine was an early facelift..any help appreciated
Everything is an option Mike! What is your car missing?

brake light

Have i fallen into to the trap of thinking an elegance spec give you every thing...lol....i dont have the puddle lights or the illuminated vanity mirrors, no third brake light or adjustable steering column.......

My 1998 Elegance has a third brake light mounted at the bottom of the rear window in a plastic surround in the back parcel shelf. These components must be available via the dealer or breakers. I dont have puddle lights but have the plastic blanks ready to fit, dont have illuminated vanity mirrors but I would of liked adjustable steering column and variable intermittent wipers, apart from that still loving the car.

i'm doing this mod soon as my spoiler with integrated brake light is being removed!

I will be interested to hear how you get on Koolvin when you remove the spoiler and install the high level brake light .....and with Andy W. mentioning whats not in his elegance spec ,which is a year later than mine i am more confused as to specs..?

I would have liked an adjustable steering column too. So were all those items mentioned (puddle lights, illuminated sun visor mirrors, adjustable steering column) optional extras and not standard on any trim level?

Mike,

Shude has posted threads on how to fit OEM illuminated sun visor mirrors and on fitting puddle lights :) I'm guessing adjustable steering column is probably too much hassle.
Originally posted by Koolvin
i'm doing this mod soon as my spoiler with integrated brake light is being removed!

K., are you removing the spoiler totally or replacing it with another?

S.

Grrrrrrrrr, when I created a topic on this, I didnt get a single reply!

Im gonna do this next payday, The dealers want £45 for the standard one and more for the LED version (£65 I think)

The LED is the same shape (a square) and was fitted on later models. - not to be confused with the LED strips on other Merc's.

According to the strangly helpful bloke, he said they contain all the parts and cables required - indicating that these were indeed an option.

Well BBW you have just answered what would have been my next question....the cost of this mod.....i have mailed Blue Star Mercedes to see if he can give me a price for the brakelight..

I recieved a quote from Dronsfields Mercedes for the high level brake light at ...25pounds,10 pounds delivery,all+vat ...a bit cheaper than dealer but have never used them and i do not Know what kind of reputation they have... anybody else used them?
Dronsfields Mercedes
Car Parts Dept
0044(0)1457 871717 (Tel)
0044(0)1457 875179 (Fax)
www.dronsfields.co.uk

Originally posted by mike
I recieved a quote from Dronsfields Mercedes for the high level brake light at ...25pounds,10 pounds delivery,all+vat ...a bit cheaper than dealer but have never used them and i do not Know what kind of reputation they have... anybody else used them?
Dronsfields Mercedes
Car Parts Dept
0044(0)1457 871717 (Tel)
0044(0)1457 875179 (Fax)
www.dronsfields.co.uk

Yes - I have bought from them before on eBay, and Shude has visited them in Manchester. They are a reputable outfit. I understand that they break a lot of cars, so this will probably be a used part, rather than new ?

S.

Dronsfields?........................wouldnt touch them with a bargepole after they tried to rip me off for an engine. It took me 2 months to get my money back and there is a gentleman there (for the want of better words) who rudley replies to phone calls with a raspberry!!

Mike you could try "The Garage" at Bacup. Their number is 01706 852221. They are quite user friendly and so far have assisted me in most of my second hand purchases. Their new item prices dont seem too bad either. i.e. £38+vat for a set of HT leads.

Brake light

I have seemed to have tracked a brake light down from........ [email protected]> at £10 +vat & p&P...who after me mailing a spares request form to them, mailed me back really quickly :bannana: all i need to do now is work out how to fit it.....

pics?

Originally posted by Ian B Walker
Dronsfields?........................wouldnt touch them with a bargepole after they tried to rip me off for an engine. It took me 2 months to get my money back and there is a gentleman there (for the want of better words) who rudley replies to phone calls with a raspberry!!
Lol, I have witnessed their customer service, both good and bad. When I turned up in person they were less than friendly, but I did speak to one guy there who was more than helpful and let me check out all the wrecked w202s for parts.
Originally posted by Ian B Walker
Mike you could try "The Garage" at Bacup. Their number is 01706 852221. They are quite user friendly and so far have assisted me in most of my second hand purchases. Their new item prices dont seem too bad either. i.e. £38+vat for a set of HT leads.
I have had the same experiences with The Garage. They're 10 mins down the road from me. Customer service over the phone has never been any good - they always told me they didn't have what I wanted although I have been there and bought it in person. They did give me 7 free panel clips which was nice :) .
I saw them eating sandwiches in a customers car and then they took it for a "test drive" while smoking in it. That didn't impress me at all.
I suppose these places must differ from employee to employee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom