High mileage cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bode5997

Car
Vectra c
New to the forum,looking at changing to a Merc.All the ones I have seen are high mileage,am I looking at a problem later on?Im after an 80's or 90's car.Dont like newer cars,too complex,my Volvo had done 425,000 with no issues.

Depends on the car and the year. What are you looking at?

like with all cars, its about changing the engine oil regular.
It's a little more extensive than just changing the oil, but that's a good start. The key to longevity is a mixture of appropriate design, good build, and thorough and timely ongoing maintenance.

The reality is that most cars that have covered intergalactic mileages "without a problem" are a bit like Trigger's broom. People normally think of the major drivetrain components and forget that they've replaced suspension bushes, dampers, exhaust system, clutches, brakes, etc.

w123,not too complicated I believe,or,a 190.

I had a 53 E220 CDI that i bought with 99k on the clock and sold at about 185k. I serviced it at every interval the car told me to which was usually about £150-£200 and the same again for the MOT. Never let me down apart from the infamous SBC unit which is specific to this model (pre-facelift) and one other. Provided it's been well looked after I wouldn't hesitate to buy high mileage again.

How about looking at www w124 . Co .uk and the 124 diesel estate Nick has for sale. That will do galactic miles quite happily

i have had 4 mercs in the last 10yrs that have all been bought with mileages around 100,000.the only thing I really look for is a full main dealer service history and any bills that come with them. have found that most Mercedes require a few replacement parts at about 70k to 80k,eg shocks,springs,discs etc.therefore in my experience any model with full mb service history should be a good buy.none of my high mileage ones have ever let me down in the 2 to 3 years I keep them.i currently run a facelift 56 reg e320 cdi with 126000 on the clock and it is whisper quiet with no rattles or knocks.hope this helps you

It's a little more extensive than just changing the oil, but that's a good start. The key to longevity is a mixture of appropriate design, good build, and thorough and timely ongoing maintenance.

The reality is that most cars that have covered intergalactic mileages "without a problem" are a bit like Trigger's broom. People normally think of the major drivetrain components and forget that they've replaced suspension bushes, dampers, exhaust system, clutches, brakes, etc.

I disagree. I have a 61 year old classic car that has been in the family since new and has never had the cylinder head off. it has had a fluid service every year without fail. it will take me to the moon and back if I decide to drive it there.

cars are machines. if you look after them, they will look after you.

cars are machines. if you look after them, they will look after you.
I think that's what I said :dk:

It very much depends on what you want, what you want it for and what you expect.
I have an S202 which is a 2.5 turbodiesel estate. At 157,000 it is well run in and needs the odd minor bit to keep it in good order. It is as reliable as the sunrise, pulls a full load over hilly terrain without noticing and has enough poke to get a move on if required.
It is also a comfortable and civilised way to get around and doesn't shame itself in the company car park. I expect that it will continue to be as it is now and it cost me a trifling sum, really it did. I would favour the 202 over the 203 series. neither is a simple car but the 202 has the gravitas of an older Mercedes which spells "nice motor" to many and that opens traffic up for you. The 250TD is not as light on fuel as the Citroens and Peugeots of this world but it saves considerably on spares costs. The insurance bill is agreeably surprising too, being cheaper than a 2 litre HDI Xsara!

As others said maintenance and overall care of the car is more important than miles. For me few things are critical
1. Warming up the engine and allow water/oil to reach good temp before pushing engine
2. Regularly check and replace oil depending on driving conditions. Quality is critical
3. Know your car. Address minor issues before they become problems. . It's false economy to wait

TG

My CLK 230K had 70K when I go her and now is 177K.
I don't take it to any garages, just change the oil, filters and keep things topped up, no worries !

When I was running a 25 year old 190e I was very comfortable with a a high mileage car. The oil pressure at idle was a good indication that it would have gone on past 200,000 miles with ease.

I think it's sad that MB have compromised their reputation with a few of the more modern engines that have single row timing chains. At least my version of the M271 only has the timing chain to worry about as it doesn't have chain driven balance shafts.

I serviced my Volvo myself.Yearly full service before the mot,only let me down when battery went,that was all really.All the ones I've seen so far,have a service history.

I'm on my third C 180/200 now the cloud eye and all given excellent service. First one 250k and gave it to a neighbour who had it another 2 years. Second 165k and sold to another neighbour who loves it and the third done 87k and just ripe for another 100k. Agree with MB service history but I do all my own servicing and any repairs but nothing big yet. At 100k always do a big service, all filters including gearbox. The neighbours are the best proof of confidence cos you wouldn't do it if it was a pup would you.

like with all cars, its about changing the engine oil regular.

my car has 144K and runs perfectly.

True

My C class 2007 plate Avtg - bought 2008 and sold last week - full service up to four years, then oil and filter only about every 12/14 months as I only do around 6k a year - changed pads twice to front and discs once and had rea pads done last yr - 58700 on the clock and drove well other than the slightly clonk form rear over speed humps only

Ah yes, but you were using different words.

:D

"He was saying all the right words,,,,,,,,,,,but not necessarily,,,,,,,,,,,,,in the right order!" :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom