High Mileage CLA45, any potential hiccups to be wary of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OnlineTeddy

Car
CLA
Thinking of upgrading and buying a CLA45. This particular one has a fairly high mileage (70k), and I was wondering if I should be wary before buying.

Generally, you have to replace tyres every year, deal with mot and servicing ever year... that’s the usual.

But at such high mileage, anything else? potential gear box replacement required? anything? also what would the cost be for such replacements? (approximately)

Thanks in advance for your help!

If this is the model with the crabbing issue, I would expect EVERYTHING on the Suspension and drivetrain to have accelerated wear.. The "fix" of fitting winter tyres is only a work-around, the straining and abuse of all those poor mechanical components will still be going on..

.....unless it's LHD...

Thinking of upgrading and buying a CLA45. This particular one has a fairly high mileage (70k), and I was wondering if I should be wary before buying.

Generally, you have to replace tyres every year, deal with mot and servicing ever year... that’s the usual.

But at such high mileage, anything else? potential gear box replacement required? anything? also what would the cost be for such replacements? (approximately)

Think you would be better asking these specific questions on the MB Cla forum.

I had a CLA45 when they first came out and I had a 2014 one and I had a turbo go on me twice. It was a one-off thing I suppose with that car. It was all replaced under warranty. It's a great car for commuting and great overall minus the seats.

I believe there was a recall on the earlier models for the turbo. There might be a few posts about it if you search it.

Have a look here for lots of info on A45 (& CLA/GLA): A45 AMG Forum - Mercedes A-Class Forum - Page 1
As Rocky said, there were a few turbo issues on early cars with but were all sorted under warranty as far as I know. Some FL cars have gearbox issues - not all resolved yet!
Never heard of this "crabbing" before, I don't even know what it is!
I had a 2013 A45 from 13 -39K with no issues, my brother still has a 2014 A45 with about 70K on it and again no issues. Get the brakes done in the deal if they look worn - rears are expensive but can be found cheaper outside the MB network. Avoid Dunlop / Conti tyres - Michelin PSS /PS4 much more suited & last twice as long.

Car also responds very well to a remap / piggyback (from the right place)- feels a bit flat from the factory - too linear. Research carefully before picking a tuner though ;-)
Great car overall, highly recommended & don't be afraid of the mileage if it's clean & well looked after.

Tony.

Heard quite a lot of people have issues with the turbos giving up, so I'd either get extended warranty or have some tucked away and upgrade to a hybrid if it goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom