High mileage - no history - what's first?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
My motor has just over 100K recorded but judging by the state of the interior it has done more... and has no history whatsoever.

I'll be putting it in to a mechanic to look over and service but is there anything I'd be recommended to do right away, or ensure that he does? I want to avoid saying to him "just do the lot" as that would somewhat mitigate against my plan for an ecconomical workhorse. Apart from very many blemishes it starts and runs very well, abeit rather gutlessly.

I,d check the fromt lower suspension ball joints and the steering damper as these tend to wear out at 100K.

Fluids and Filters. You cant go wrong. Its expenditure you will have anyway you are just attaching a definite time line to it.

Thanks Grober and Recall. I'll do the fluids, maybe hoses too and check those ball joints and steering damper. Another thing I hadn't noticed until getting home was the smell of diesel coming from the front (this after a long drive). Maybe some diesel hose or could something else cause this?

Rob77 said:
Thanks Grober and Recall. I'll do the fluids, maybe hoses too and check those ball joints and steering damper. Another thing I hadn't noticed until getting home was the smell of diesel coming from the front (this after a long drive). Maybe some diesel hose or could something else cause this?

Probably a split leak off hose.

As said before do all fluids including brake fluid, ATF and antifreeze.

Dieselman said:
Probably a split leak off hose.

As said before do all fluids including brake fluid, ATF and antifreeze.

Ok, did you mean replace every hose as well as the fuids within them? No need for ATF, at least as it's manual. I know that's not the preferred option but it shifts fine.

The leak off pipes are the small pipes linking the injectors back to the fuel filter head. The rubberised pipes go hard and split so leak. You buy the pipe in lengths from diesel centres or MB dealer then just cut to length and fit.

While having the obvious fluids and filters done, make sure the gearbox filter is changed.
I believe it's a dealer only part but you will notice a difference if it hasn't been done before

kikkthecat said:
While having the obvious fluids and filters done, make sure the gearbox filter is changed.
I believe it's a dealer only part but you will notice a difference if it hasn't been done before

What even on a manual??

Dieselman said:
What even on a manual??

Maybe I've lived a sheltered life but I've NEVER seen a manual W124

And why would anybody want one ? :confused:

kikkthecat said:

It's a 250 D. If you want the skin to leave the rice pudding then an Auto isn't a good idea.

kikkthecat said:

Rob Farmer has a manual W124 (or he did last time I spoke to him),

I think a fair few of the 200Es were sold as manuals.

Andy

Dieselman said:
It's a 250 D. If you want the skin to leave the rice pudding then an Auto isn't a good idea.

:p No you're right, even in manual form, it has very little acceleration. Ideally, I'd have got something sportier but once (if) I can get it all sorted it'll mainly be on the motorway and should suit my purpose for a while.

Thanks to everyone for their help too, I'm getting quite a big list together of things to do to it now :eek:

Incidentally, I assume that the manual box doesn't have a filter, does it?

GrahamC230K said:
Not going to get into the 2nd question, but did you really think the 124 was auto only? :eek:

No, just that I haven't seen one.

I have seen Spike's car but it obviously didn't register at the time. But I can understand it with a diesel.

And having finally read THIS I see how common they are.

The second question still stands.... :p

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. I'll need to get a Haynes and owners manual next week. Can an owner's manual for an old car like this still be had from a dealer, or does anyone have one they would want to sell?

In the meantime, would it be possible for anyone to post or scan and email me the "to do" list for a major service? :)

the dealers will still do an owners handbook/manual, Haynes do a workshop manual (number 3253 if you have trouble locating it).

Andy

Rob77 said:
In the meantime, would it be possible for anyone to post or scan and email me the "to do" list for a major service? :)

The to do list isn't really that long.
All fluids, check balljoints, gaiters, brake pipes, steering play. That's about it really. The engine wants new fuel and oil filters and a change of oil an antifreeze.

add to that a check of vacuum pipes - the purists (and dealers) will say you should change hoses every couple of years but the more practical suggection is to replace the ones which look as they are past their prime.

A new fan/alternator etc belt is always worth doing and have a look at the tensioner whilst you have the belt off.

have a looik at all the bushes on the rear suspension radius arms - the top arm is a known weakpoint on the W124 and there is an upgraded part available from MB for about £30

check anti roll bar bushes and the front roll bar "hangers", they have a habit of developing hairline cracks

HTH

Andy

Thanks again, that's been great. Couple more questions on this though:

Reading a few of the other posts, some recommend using ATF to flush through both the oil and the diesel and others seem against it. I wasn't going to do it. Then I also saw a recent thread on oil spec (though this was for an automatic). I'd intend to use whatever, known make, diesel 10/40 semi synthetic was cheapest, along with a standard gearbox oil. Does that seem ok?

Lastly, was it a bad idea to get an OEM oil filter from Euromerc on Ebay (it's for the right model)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom