High Mileage SLK55 Purchase - Wise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Convertible and diesel are two words that should never be together.

Prefer the later 302BHP model too.
When we bought my wife's R171 350 I drove a pre-facelift 350 and the facelift car back to back. The facelift car with the higher output engine is the one to go for if funds allow. Lots of detail improvements add up to a better overall package, and the extra power at the top end of the rev range is very noticeable.

Regarding engine/exhaust noise (she now has an R172 SLK55), the V8 delivers a very satisfying basso profondo roar, but I still miss the howl of the 350 V6 at full chat which is pretty spectacular.

I drove a facelifted R171 SLK350 with 6-speed manual for a few laps of the track at Brooklands. Went very nicely. The engine was great, very smooth, an excellent sound.

I really fancy an SLK55 as a summer toy, and there are some with impressive mileages, obviously enjoyed! The problem is I don't do many miles a year, so it would probably make sense for me to buy a lower mileage one and keep it lowish miles, but then they are in some cases almost double the purchase price. The balance of depreciation and mileage I guess! I notice depending on age the M113 was paired with either the 5 speed or the 7 speed, be interesting if anyone has any experience with either and is there a reason to go for the newer box? I know the 5 is pretty bombproof, but I imagine the 7 is more fun?

Might be worth waiting until next summer.....not sure we are all going to see much of this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom