High mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deejay50

Car
2008 C220 cdi
Hi. Just looked at an ad for a 2008 C class 220 diesel with 127000 on it. £3500. haven’t see it yet. It’s 100 miles away so making enquires first. It has fsh. I’ve asked for reg number so I can check mot history. My question is, is that mileage a little
high? I’m going to be doing 10,000 a year taking my wife to and fro work so want something reliable. Thanks

At one time (pre-covid obviously) 10,000 miles per year was considered an average mileage, so the 2008 car you're looking at with 127K on it is under that.
Personally, I'd always buy a car on its history and condition rather than miles (within reason). I once bought a 3 year old BMW with 120,000 miles on it because it was in all respects superb and had been looked after with no expense spared.

At one time (pre-covid obviously) 10,000 miles per year was considered an average mileage, so the 2008 car you're looking at with 127K on it is under that.
Personally, I'd always buy a car on its history and condition rather than miles (within reason). I once bought a 3 year old BMW with 120,000 miles on it because it was in all respects superb and had been looked after with no expense spared.
Yeah I know the service history is so important nowadays so I think I may have to drive up and have a look through it. It’s a 2 1/2 hour drive from here in Devon so I need to be sure it before I do that. Thanks for your answer.

Good luck with it - I always enjoy the chase of a 'new' vehicle. Just remember head over heart and that if it isn't quite right, there will be another one along soon 👍

Hi. Just looked at an ad for a 2008 C class 220 diesel with 127000 on it. £3500. haven’t see it yet. It’s 100 miles away so making enquires first. It has fsh. I’ve asked for reg number so I can check mot history. My question is, is that mileage a little
high? I’m going to be doing 10,000 a year taking my wife to and fro work so want something reliable. Thanks
Nowt lasts forever, but at 127k there isn't any reason it shouldn't be reliable.
Just about the most robust engine MB made.

A 2008 car has probably had a lot of the first round replacement parts done, especially on that mileage.

127,000 is not high mileage but as stated, buy on condition and history is a must.

Would be nice if you can get hold of any receipts unless you are buying from a trader in which case that might not happen due to GDPR.

Make sure everything works unless stated otherwise.

It's done most of it's depreciation now so you are unlikely to lose much on it unless something large pops (but that's a gamble with any car out of warranty and arguably worse if the car is a lot more expensive to buy to start with).

I bought a 7 year old 1993 E36 325i saloon once on 124,000. I did 16,000 miles in a year and all it needed were the gearbox bolts tightening to fix a slight leak from it once during ownership.

Used it for a job with business mileage and it never let me down.

A 2008 car has probably had a lot of the first round replacement parts done, especially on that mileage.

127,000 is not high mileage but as stated, buy on condition and history is a must.

Would be nice if you can get hold of any receipts unless you are buying from a trader in which case that might not happen due to GDPR.

Make sure everything works unless stated otherwise.

It's done most of it's depreciation now so you are unlikely to lose much on it unless something large pops (but that's a gamble with any car out of warranty and arguably worse if the car is a lot more expensive to buy to start with).

I bought a 7 year old 1993 E36 325i saloon once on 124,000. I did 16,000 miles in a year and all it needed were the gearbox bolts tightening to fix a slight leak from it once during ownership.

Used it for a job with business mileage and it never let me 2008 Mercedes-Benz C Class C220 CDI Elegance 4dr Auto SALOON Diesel Automatic | in Newport | Gumtree that’s the car. The ref on it comes up as a motorcycle so maybe they just haven’t taken it off the car yet? I’ve messaged them for the correct reg to check mots

Just about run in.

I have run 3 E220 CDis to well over 300k each with no major issues. Each of mine had the 5g box which seems to be pretty indestructible like the engine if it is serviced properly.

My son is still running my last one and it has just had a new front spring at 320k miles.

2008 Mercedes-Benz C Class C220 CDI Elegance 4dr Auto SALOON Diesel Automatic | in Newport | Gumtree that’s the car. The ref on it comes up as a motorcycle so maybe they just haven’t taken it off the car yet? I’ve messaged them for the correct reg to check mots
Yes, I would think the pictures were done before the registration was transferred-off.

MOT was my next suggestion.

You might not get any invoices with it which is a shame.

Looks from the pictures to be a straight car in good condition considering mileage and 13 years old.

Personal plate could suggest the owner might be more of a car person and so may have taken more care.

If the MOT history looks good, the HPI is clear and the car runs well and the service history checks out - looks like it could be a winner.

Yes, I would think the pictures were done before the registration was transferred-off.

MOT was my next suggestion.

You might not get any invoices with it which is a shame.

Looks from the pictures to be a straight car in good condition considering mileage and 13 years old.

Personal plate could suggest the owner might be more of a car person and so may have taken more care.

If the MOT history looks good, the HPI is clear and the car runs well and the service history checks out - looks like it could be a winner.
Unusual colour too - although the 'Caramac' dash and steering wheel won't be to everyone's taste

Unusual colour too - although the 'Caramac' dash and steering wheel won't be to everyone's taste
I’m not sure about the interior colour either 😁. I’m gonna call tomorrow to sort out the reg situation to check the mot’s. If that looks good I’ll drive up and take a look. Thanks for your reply.

I’m not sure about the interior colour either 😁.
Well I'm glad you said that... 😁

No, it's utterly revolting to my mind but I presumed the OP either liked it or could put up with it! Lol.

In all honesty it looks a bit of a old farts car so probably a good buy !
...exactly that!

Probably £3250 would buy it as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom