High miler w212 350 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Car
W124 300 E // W211 320 cdi
hi guys, would anyone here buy a 2011 w212 with close to 190,000?
seems ALOT but then again it might be okay, after all most of the used cars will have been clocked back ex lease, price wise i think it was around the 6k mark which i think is quite good value provided the thing doesn't bring up any nasty surprises

any of you experts know what i should look at parts wise to make sure its been replaced at this high mileage?

thanks

Hi Del hope you're well.

I saw a 212 350 cdi on Autotrader last year with 260k on it, an estate chauffeur car. looks like they can take the miles with ease. I just bought one for my wife and it's a superb engine {265 car) and the whole car feels much more solid than a 211.

Routine maintenance especially with the gearbox would be the highlight for me.

thanks mate

out of curiosity what is the mileage on the w212 you bought?

I know someone who had an earlier 320CDi, so basically the same engine, running fine with in-excess of 250,000 miles on the clock. Motorway miles and correctly serviced.

The main issue will be whether the car has been properly serviced. As already pointed out, it should have had auto box fluid change - I think that year had a one-off oil change, later ones with the 7g+ box are, from memory, every 5 years OR 75,000 miles. If it is one of the earlier ones, I'd still consider an auto fluid change worthwhile.

A diff oil change would be useful. It should also have had antifreeze done at 150,000 or thereabouts.

Dpf - not sure that there's any way to check these.

In theory, at that age/mileage, the car has probably been driven under ideal conditions, ie warm and not stop-start cold runs.

Paintwork/windscreen is likely to have stone chips, so it all depends on the price.

Check when and if engine mounts were done (especially if it has stop-start), glow plugs (had one or two in mine go at a similar mileage), battery may also need replacing soon, if not already - mine was replaced at about 200k at a similar age.

I have the E220CDi a 60 plate now on 288k so may not be quite the same, but the only real issue outside routine servicing has been the water pump which is a known weakness, replaced at about 215k ish miles. Not sure if thee 350 has the same pump, but its not overly expensive at an indi to replace.

One rear shock top mount started knocking slightly at about 80k so had the rears replaced under warranty.

Make sure the gearbox/torque converter oil has been changed, I do mine every 100k miles. Never had an issue with the rear diff on 3 E classes, the other 2 did over 300k, only changed the diff oil once on one the first at about 270k and the oil was still relatively clean and didn't really need changing.

Make sure it has been serviced religiously and you should be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom