Hiking boot sole replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Hello all 'Off topicers'

As the title suggests this has more to do with Shanks's pony than Horsepower.

I have a fine pair on Meindl walking boots and I have managed to wear part of the soles away , possibly due in part to walking more during lockdown and spending more time walking on pavement rather than softer surfaces.

I don't really want to get rid of them mainly because they as very comfortable , the uppers are in great condition and they are bloody expensive !

I had a scoot around the internet and they are repairable . Some companies offer actual Meindl soles for £85 +pp with and 80 day lead time !! :eek: Others offer Vibram soles for £30 +pp and everything in-between. Even Timpson's do a postal service for Vibram soles for just under £80 (bit pricey I think) . I have of course had shoes repaired before but never hiking boots.

Does anyone out there have any experience of this type of repair and can anyone give advice please.
Thanks all :thumb:

I used these sometime ago on a pair of Brasher boots.

Mainly because they are local to me.

From memory they turned out like new.

Take Care
David

Last time I was up at Altberg collecting a new pair, they mentioned they can do resoling on Meindl (I was wearing a particularly battered pair of Merans at the time).

It's quite an extensive job to do when compared to shoes, as there's a bit of deconstruction required. Altbergs own boots are about £60 for a new sole, ISTR they were quoting about the same.

Don’t scrimp on the job. I once saw a detached sole close to the summit of Pillar. My imagination immediately went to images of the poor boot wearer limping home in discomfort.

I used these sometime ago on a pair of Brasher boots.

Mainly because they are local to me.

From memory they turned out like new.

Take Care
David
This is the company that will do the Meindl soles for £85 + P&P with an 80 day lead time , too much for me . TBH I have no intention of going anywhere remotely hazardous wearing these boots so I might just opt for a cheaper fix and if it lasts a year job's a good un.

I can thoroughly recommend LSR {Lancashire Sports Repair}.

A couple of years ago I sent to them my Meindl Burma walking boots for repair as after 5 years of heavy use, they were looking a bit sad. The boots came back like new and have been used extensively since. I had the complete lower boot replaced plus new laces, the cost was in the region of £90 but seeing that the equivalent boot now costs over £200, I think that I got a bargain.

Last time I was up at Altberg collecting a new pair, they mentioned they can do resoling on Meindl (I was wearing a particularly battered pair of Merans at the time).

It's quite an extensive job to do when compared to shoes, as there's a bit of deconstruction required. Altbergs own boots are about £60 for a new sole, ISTR they were quoting about the same.
I can concur I'm fairly local to Altberg and they have done my Meindl boots a while ago. Sorry I cant remember how much they were.

Maybe of use for others reading this post, but the midsoles on my Meindle boots needed repair. Spoke to Bramwell International who are the UK distributors. They did a return to Germany repair service which was c.£80 all in, and I was delighted. Not sure if they still do this (it was about 5 years ago), but if your uppers are still good, then if it were me I'd rather the boots went back to the maker for repair.

^^^ That might explain the 80 day turnaround that I saw for OEM Meindle re sole 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom