Hippies soon to start paying tax.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like the government moving the goal posts to increase overall VED revenue stream. With the car manufacturers' published emission test results widely challenged as meaningfull in real world motoring the variable VED rate is largely discredited other than a very rough and ready envirnmental policy implementation. That's even before the issues of NOx and corporate cheating from VAG. While taxing fuel directly is probably sound in environmental terms- the more you burn the more you pay - its going to be pretty volatile in terms of revenue stream if people suddenly reduce their fuel consumption. VED is a once a year tax meaning immediate cash in hand for the government- as once paid --car use or fuel consumption related revenue is less variable for that year. I also suspect the big Oil Companies might not be too keen to function as government tax gatherers to the possible detriment of their product sales. :dk:

What if you buy a price list sub £40k car and load it with extras, will you end up being basically taxed on the extras?

It then becomes a car worth more than £40K and is taxed accordingly.

So buy the base car and take it back in to get whatever extras you can fitted?

The new VED rates only apply to new cars. Existing vehicles carry on using the old scheme. For how long I wonder ?

If I sell my car which has a current road tax of £30 after April next year, will the new owner have to pay £140 or will it still be £30?
This could effect 2nd hand valuations

If I sell my car which has a current road tax of £30 after April next year, will the new owner have to pay £140 or will it still be £30?
This could effect 2nd hand valuations

It should still be £30 I believe.

The new VED rates only apply to new cars. Existing vehicles carry on using the old scheme. For how long I wonder ?

Are you sure about that?

I understood that all cars would change from next year but new ones would have to pay a higher first registration fee.

Hope you are right as my C43 will be £450 a year otherwise. Mind you the Golf GTI would drop to £140 a year from £265

Yes it's only going to affect new cars. Even the government are not crazy enough to make such a big change retrospective.

But you can't imagine two systems running in parallel for ever.

Actually make that at least three systems when you consider older cars are not rated on emissions but on engine size.

Last edited:
This is ****ing retarded. Where is the incentive to get a lower co2 car? Might as well buy a v8, take a short term hit then pay same tax as a 1.0

It then becomes a car worth more than £40K and is taxed accordingly.

It may COST more than £40K but its worth will be debatable .

If options increase the price and take it above £40K, then discount could take it below £40K. Now, is tax based on list price or invoice price? Because options taking car above £40K suggest it will be invoice price.

This thing will come in ,we'll have a grumble and then we'll pay up and forget about it! Band M cars cost £515 a year to tax, has it effected the likes of Range Rover? Most 40k cars are leased by people whose boss is paying the bill,so they're not going change, top earners really aren't bothered about £300 a year.
It's all about image and image cost!!

But the way I read it, and I could be wrong, was that new cars like my wife's Yaris, which is currently £30 a year, will become £140 in the first year and £140 in the second year. But say a Golf R wiill also become 140 after a year, so where is any incentive to buy lower CO2 cars, either new or especially second hand?

I mean it'll be great for me cos in a few years time I'll be able to justify a C63 cos it won't be 500 quid a year tax it'll only be 140.

The new rates will only apply to cars first registered after 1 April 2017.

All currently registered cars will keep paying as they do now..

Aye I get that but my point is that if you're happy to take a short-term his in the first year there is no incentive after that to go for a low CO2 car.

Regarding the £40k figure.. i read it goes on the RRP of the car plus extras as detailed by the manufacture official figures and not the price paid on the invoice. (not sure how often them prices are going to be updated across all manufactures . (just like BIK on company cars does.)

Otherwise you can have a dealer giving you an invoice for £39,995 and an additional invoice of say £10k for "admin fee" to collect the rest of the amount due.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom