Hissing from Airmatic Suspension.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bladerunner2125

Car
S320 W220 2002
Have had the new Airpump installed am now using the car daily, started hearing a hissing noise now and again after going over rough roads, it seems to settle down as I reach smoother roads, tends to happen more after the vehicle has been stopped and then driven away, sounds like its coming from offside (Driverside UK) area, is this anything to worry about? I am still under warranty so need to be certain?

Not normal, get it checked out while you still have warranty.

Have you got Cobra wheels?

If it's still covered by warranty, take it back.

whilst driving ? Does not sound right

The pump will be audible when you turn car on and off as it levels (I think)

I thought it sounded odd myself, I have only just started to really use this vehicle, its was in the Garage for 3 weeks out of the first month, Airmatic Pump, then EIS Ignition unit, not getting any Airmatic errors showing up on the dashboard like I did with the pump? have notified the trader, not a main dealer but he does not have Star Diagnostics neither does the garage he takes his Mercs to, which does not help since Star would diagnose faults much easier I would imagine?

Yes, ideally STAR for diagnosis. Hissing could just be a leaking connection easily checked with soapy water whilst raising and lowering the car

Yes, ideally STAR for diagnosis. Hissing could just be a leaking connection easily checked with soapy water whilst raising and lowering the car

Having done another 200 miles tonight in the W220 mainly urban driving speed bumps etc, the hissing just seems systematic, people get in the car I set off then I hear some hissing and then all is quiet, they get out and I hear it again briefly, then all is quiet again, this is a brand new Airmatic pump I am wondering if its something to do with the functioning of the pump, possibly something they changed in the design? I am hoping its not going to be a big problem, no warning lights anywhere, yet when the pump was faulty the Airmatic error appeared on the dashboard?

Been told today by the garage that fitted the Pump that this is normal behaviour for the Airmatic Pump that it is just venting the Air?

My W221 almost always lets out a short hiss when locked, sometimes it's a little longer and quieter, always done it and seems normal. Like was said, sounds like it's just venting. I never hear it when driving though....

As above my AIRmatic will sigh when the car is locked, never heard anything whilst driving, not even when raising or lowering using the button..

As above my AIRmatic will sigh when the car is locked, never heard anything whilst driving, not even when raising or lowering using the button..

Is yours a new pump? this being a new pump I am wondering if it functions differently?

No, as far as I know it's original.

Somehow can't imagine an S class would make any extraneous noises ...

No, as far as I know it's original.

Somehow can't imagine an S class would make any extraneous noises ...

Just makes me wonder if the Pumps might have been modified from Original Mercedes Spec, possibly to reduce wear and tear on the pump? can't explain it otherwise, maybe the repair Garage is just giving me the run around hope I will forget about it until the 2 month Traders warranty runs out in just over a weeks time?

My W220 always let out a sigh as we walked away :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom