Hit and run advise please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Borys

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 cl500
My sister was at church today. Once finished found a note behind wiper from a witness. Lady did hit her car and just drove off. Gentlemen left his mobile number and reg of the car which drove off. Car is not worth a lot and damage is not huge but at this case principal applies. We don't want to claim through insurance. Is there any chance if reported to police, they will caution the other driver? It is very upsetting how people behave these days

Similar happened to me a couple of yrs ago.
Reported to police, they found other party, he denied knowing he'd hit my car (witness said he deinfitley did notice and there was a loud bang on impact). Witness' word against his no further action.
But, he was insured at least so claimed off his insurance.

As above. The driver might get away without prosecution, but once police are involved he/she will not get away from handing over his/her insurance details (of course he may be uninsured... in which case the police might prosecute anyway).

On a separate note, even if you do not claim through your own insurance, you will obviously still need to declare the incident to your insurer if asked come renewal time.

I'd report him... People like this need some sh*t now and again to redress what they dish out.

Might not get prosecuted but still hassle.

Thanks guys will report tomorrow

The offender should definately be reported to the police for failing to stop/report an accident.
But, in my experience, if the car has a low value, or if the dent is not too serious, it will be cheaper to live with it or get it fixed at your own expense rather than involving your insurance company.

Once your Insurance company is involved, you'll pay for the dent many times over in increased premiums..

The FTS RTC should be reported. As above it may well be cheaper not to involve insurance companies. In terms of a prosecution or the other driver denying liability, you do have an independent witness. Sadly, in such cases there is little or no chance of a prosecution without an independent witness but as MarkJay said, the offending driver may be uninsured. If she is insured, at least you will get the insurance details should you want/need them.

Reported vis online service
Hopefully she'll get a visit
Actually my boss had similar situation and apparently person which hit his car and drove off ended up in court, as hit and run is considered as criminal offence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom