Hit and Run - Reporting to Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think there are a couple of cops / ex-cops on here... wonder what their stance is on the OP's issue...

I can’t help but wonder if it’s a regional thing as I’ve never known the police to decline to help with anything ; last thing was a few weeks back when I called 111 to report a stray dog on the A737 which was causing traffic to stop and at risk of being knocked down as well as potentially causing a crash . I got a call back 5 mins later asking for further details from another operator and confirming a car was on its way .

That's what I mean - it's a mixed bag!

I am good friends with a cop and I could never say he was lazy... last time I spoke to him about their priorities, he said they just don't have enough of them to investigate everything despite being frustrating as that is what he joined the force to do.

I think there are a couple of cops / ex-cops on here... wonder what their stance is on the OP's issue...

That's what I mean - it's a mixed bag!

I am good friends with a cop and I could never say he was lazy... last time I spoke to him about their priorities, he said they just don't have enough of them to investigate everything despite being frustrating as that is what he joined the force to do.

For anyone who doesn't know or hasn't twigged, I'm a serving officer, currently stationed in our control room.

As per my previous post above, I cannot think of any justification for NOT recording the incident.

John, your friend is correct. The police do not have the resources (and it's not just people) to investigate everything. Much as it grieves us, we have to be realistic and prioritise. In the OP's case there VRM of the offending vehicle is not known and there is no realistic possibility of identifying it. Therefore there is nothing viable to investigate. That said, I repeat there is no reason or justification for not recording the incident and providing the OP's relative with a reference number. That's a failure of duty by West Mids in this case.

File a complaint via the PCC and contact the local papers.

I don't understand. Why has the thread been reported?

Think about it.
OK?
Why would a "reported" post be posted?
OK?
Are you there yet?

No?

Well...a post, which has since been deleted, was reported because it was, let's say, off topic. Got it?

Reactions: 219
Usually the post reporting the, erm, reported post gets deleted as well but I think there were so many some slipped through. That is the reporting posts slipped through, not the reported posts ...

Think about it.
OK?
OK?
Are you there yet?

No?

Well...a post, which has since been deleted, was reported because it was, let's say, off topic. Got it?

I did think about. I did not understand it. I asked a question.

One thing I definitely think is that you're pretty rude.

I did think that as I was reading the thread. I never post 'reported' when reporting a thread as spam or whatever (but the spam then gets removed) so threw me a little.

Think about it.
OK?
OK?
Are you there yet?

No?

A little harsh is it not? :(

There were a large number of offensive posts made by a new user in the early hours of this morning.

As with many others , I normally annotate ‘reported’ once I have hit the ‘report’ button , as much as to remind myself which ones I’ve reported, as to save others the trouble of reporting them over again .

Worth watching "Call The Cops" documentary to get an idea of what the police are up against at the moment and make your own mind up.

OK so the trolls will state "it's engineered to make it look that way"... but it appears neutral to me (although I don't look for conspiracy in everything like some).

Again, I've no doubt there are lazy sheets like in any industry but a lot don't appear that way.

Must be easy to become disillusioned doing that job - not an easy one by any stretch.

One thing I definitely think is that you're pretty rude.

Been at the sauce again maybe...

You are not wrong John! I am an ex plod and trust me when I say becoming easily disillusioned, disheartened and demoralised is very very easy!

Like in every profession, there is good and bad, grafters and shirkers, but unfortunately the Polices job is further hampered with all the cuts over the last few years, so the level of service is somewhat inevitably adversely effected.

I had approx 10 years service on the front line of policing (in the third busiest town outside the Metropolitan Police area at the time) before leaving in 2005 and going back to my trade of being a sparky!

I now earn considerably more, for doing considerably less. Would I go back......not a chance! Can't even stand to watch any of the programmes on TV about policing. The pendulum has swung far too much in the opposite direction for decent folk, you only have to look at what they are subject to on a daily basis for merely doing their job.

Sorry for the thread hijack OP, but I do think your local force has failed you in not recording your incident, whether they would have 'crimed' it or not I couldn't say, as not sure what the criteria is nowadays1

Can't even stand to watch any of the programmes on TV about policing.

My cop friend is the same actually.

I just hope the re-instating of 20,000 officers actually happens and isn't more bull!

I'd rather have too many then too few, particularly as crime appears to be getting worse.

I've no doubt the figures tell a different picture but how much stuff doesn't get reported these days... my bet is a hell of a lot.

Perhaps Gilbert & Sullivan got it right all these years ago : " When constabulary duty's to be done .... "

I've no doubt the figures tell a different picture but how much stuff doesn't get reported these days... my bet is a hell of a lot.

There was a lot of crimes not being reported a long time ago, due to the public lack of confidence in the system. It will no doubt have increased over the last few years, but this is not recognised by the govt, they see it as 'crime falling'!

The figures....well there is lies, more lies and then statistics. Sad but true.

There was a lot of crimes not being reported a long time ago, due to the public lack of confidence in the system. It will no doubt have increased over the last few years, but this is not recognised by the govt, they see it as 'crime falling'!

The figures....well there is lies, more lies and then statistics. Sad but true.

Exactly, whenever I hear that BS, the unreported crime runs through my mind.

Our W124 was hit by an uninsured driver a few years ago.
She pulled out of a side road, straight into the rear door of our car as my o/h was passing in a normal manor.
We had photos of the cars, the situation, the other driver etc. We also had a witness from the following driver.
It was reported to the police, but in the hour this took to do from time of impact, the driver had taken out a policy.
The police would do nothing as the car was insured and they had no proof anything had been done wrong, despite her insurance not covering the accident as it happened before the policy was taken out.

Our only option was to persue a claim from the MIB. But as we are both busy people we decided there was no point for the £2k worth of damage. You coud see a mile off, that had we gone as far as court, we would have got a judgement in our favour, damages would be awarded, they would claim poverty and we would be paid a pound a week.

A few years ago now when all this happened, another member here got hit in his AMG by an uninsured driver, that continued to drive uninsured in various cars but as far as i can remember, the Police where willing to do nothing, depite the uninsured living opposite a school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom