Hit by cyclist with electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sadly I think this is the case as well, doesn't make me wish it wasn't true.

I don't have any issue with the majority of safe cyclists, but the unsafe ones just seem to get into so much more trouble than unsafe drivers.

Make enquiries as to who his home contents policy is, some have a personal liability section that you can claim against in these cases. Mine does, and a friend of mine got hit by a car when crossing the road and was successfully claimed against on his.

All personal home insurance policies include third party public liability and should respond where the 'vehicle' is not otherwise required to be insured. I think the max powered speed is 15mph.

Unfortunately many people don't have home insurance but it's a false economy. I know, I would say that in my position.

All personal home insurance policies include third party public liability and should respond where the 'vehicle' is not otherwise required to be insured. I think the max powered speed is 15mph.

Unfortunately many people don't have home insurance but it's a false economy. I know, I would say that in my position.

I don't have contents but do have buildings, then again I don't ride a bike either, if I want to get from A to B, I either walk or ride in the comfort of my MB:D:D

How did it get to the stage where we are conditioned to want extra legislation for everything?
There's already enough as this thread shows. The cyclist opted not to have insurance and paid the price.
Do we really think another tier of civil servants would only cost a 'nominal' amount?
Do you think cyclists would all have insurance if it was the law?
Maybe pedestrians should all have registration numbers and insurance in case they damage a car?

Glad it all worked out for the OP.

How did it get to the stage where we are conditioned to want extra legislation for everything?
There's already enough as this thread shows. The cyclist opted not to have insurance and paid the price.
Do we really think another tier of civil servants would only cost a 'nominal' amount?
Maybe pedestrians should all have registration numbers and insurance in case they damage a car?

Cotton wool society where everyone works for the state.

I imagine the majority would comply with the law .

I wouldn't think they need registration numbers - just giving their name and address should suffice .

In the event that a pedestrian caused damage to a car ( perhaps by jaywalking and causing a crash ) then in theory the public liability part of their home insurance ( if they had any ) could be brought into play .

I actually suggested this route to the cyclist before I started proceedings, and was told they don't have contents insurance, strange for someone that had a company as a chimney sweep and would have required liability insurance in case of damage.

I also looked into the speed and power issues last year. Its a mine field. Some bikes sold in the EU break UK law but due to EU Law they can be use here without insurance. Its a bit like Zenons being illegal here but as they are TUV approved nothing can be done.

Last edited:
In the event that a pedestrian caused damage to a car ( perhaps by jaywalking and causing a crash ) then in theory the public liability part of their home insurance ( if they had any ) could be brought into play .

Just like cyclists...

Too much regulation and overprotection is a bad thing and adds additional unnecessary cost for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom