Hitler begged for discount on Mercedes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Hitler begged for discount on Mercedes car whilst in prison.

LINK.

Dear Adolph

Dear Herr Schicklgruber,

we regret to inform you that Mercedes Benz cannot supply mere Austrian house painters with automobiles. If however you were to annex the Sudetenland or invade Russia we might reconsider your otherwise risible offer of payment .
yours faithfully

Efrayim Goldstein
Head of Sales

pp Reichstag Motors

I wonder whether he got the discount? He bought (or was given) MBs afterwards, so his relationship with them must have been OK...

There's a museum in Moscow that has the captured Horsch 853 that belonged to Hermann Goering along with several Mercedes owned by high up Nazis of the time! Nice little museum and worth a visit for anyone with some time to spare on a trip to Moscow.

Horch-853, 1935. . Cars in Lomakov Museum.

Unbelieveable! what was he in jail for?

For his role in what's become known as the the "Munich Beer Hall Putsch". Hitler, along with Lussow and Kahr, wanted to take advantage of German political instability in 1923 - Hitler raised a group of about 3000 armed ex-soldiers in preperation before Lussow and Kahr bailed out of the idea.

He then took 600 of these armed men into a Munich beer hall where Lussow and Kahr were speaking (8 November 1923). He forced them at gunpoint to endorse the "revolution", and then led his "troops" on a triumphal march into Munich (9 November). However, Kahr had informed the police and army - 16 Nazia were killed and Hitler fled.

He was arrested 2 days later and was later imprisoned for his role. He wrote "Mein Kampf" whilst in prison; he also can to realise that he wouldn't come to power through revolution and so began to plan a legitimate rise to power.

Shame he got out.... Wonder how the world would be now if he'd never risen to power...

Dear Herr Schicklgruber,

we regret to inform you that Mercedes Benz cannot supply mere Austrian house painters with automobiles. If however you were to annex the Sudetenland or invade Russia we might reconsider your otherwise risible offer of payment .
yours faithfully

Efrayim Goldstein
Head of Sales

pp Reichstag Motors

Someone by the name of Goldstein encouraging Hitler???

That is a question with massive implications!...
I've often thiought about it! As technical development leaps ahead during a war, it makes me wonder where we would be with computing, cars, aircraft, engines etc (not to mention housing as a lot of the flats we have now were only built to house homeless military families after the war) if the war had never happened! Of course, another despot may well have had a try, such as Stalin, although to my knowledge of the history of that paranoid Georgian maniac, world domination wasn't his prime purpose!

Shame he got out.... Wonder how the world would be now if he'd never risen to power...

As a student of history, I was always taught to avoid counter-factuals. One could hardly start on that one!

I've often thiought about it! As technical development leaps ahead during a war, it makes me wonder where we would be with computing, cars, aircraft, engines etc (not to mention housing as a lot of the flats we have now were only built to house homeless military families after the war) if the war had never happened! Of course, another despot may well have had a try, such as Stalin, although to my knowledge of the history of that paranoid Georgian maniac, world domination wasn't his prime purpose!

Not just about the technology but the global distribution of it. America could never have been first on the moon without German rocket technology, as just one example.

The Middle East would be vastly different, but that really is to stray into speculation.

Hmm...no state of Isreal?.. Soviet Union would not have had the Baltic states and probably not the other East European countries so kindly given to them after the war!! But, as you say, too much pointless speculation!

Not just about the technology but the global distribution of it. America could never have been first on the moon without German rocket technology, as just one example.

I think that is one of the very few near-certainties - the USA would not be anywhere near what it is now without WWII. And we would probably not now be so deep in their pocket either.

And - we would very likely have been the first to break the sound barrier, because we would not have had a weak government feeling obligated to sell out to the Americans.

I digress... :rolleyes: :)

I think that is one of the very few near-certainties - the USA would not be anywhere near what it is now without WWII. And we would probably not now be so deep in their pocket either.

And - we would very likely have been the first to break the sound barrier, because we would not have had a weak government feeling obligated to sell out to the Americans.

I digress... :rolleyes: :)

Have a read of this book. First published in 1987 - very thought provoking and interesting arguments.

Without going into too much detail, I sell an American made product and a key and exclusive component of it was obtained as a development of the Nazi effort to make reliable their tank tracks for use in the deserts.
Small in the overall scheme of things I admit, but tangible nonetheless.

A recent trip to Bletchley Park showed the progress of the modern computer being directly attributable to the construction of the "Bombe" that was used to break the Enigma codes. Although not a computer as such, it led to the creation of the first rudimentary computers, something that may not have happened for many years without the need to de-encrypt the German codes. Interesting isn't it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom