Hitler's Secret Bunkers.... Revealed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Did anyone else watch this on Ch5 last night? Fascinating stuff, especially the metro station for Germania and the Flak Towers around Berlin. It was clear from the sheer scale of the constructions that huge resources had been deployed to build them both in terms of raw materials and human effort - including much of the latter from slave labour :(

The Flak Towers looked like huge mediaeval fortifications and were built in an incredible 6 months. Even the national train timetables were altered to provide enough freight capacity to deliver the necessary raw materials while they were built. Although designed primarily as anti-aircraft defences, they had a second purpose as civilian shelters and they were so impregnable that even the advancing Red Army gave up trying to take them by force and ended up going around them. Two of the three were completely destroyed by the Allies after the war, but the towers on the north face of the third still remain as the French failed to completely demolish them. Quite extraordinary.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, sorry I missed it :(

Incidentally, it's 'flak', a contraction of Flugzeugabwehrkanone (aircraft defence cannon). In WW1 it was 'ack-ack' or 'archie' :)

I think that may have been a repeat as I recall something similar from a few years back. I remember the area is now a car park or open parkland.
Unless of course I have got my knickers in a twist as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom