Hitting a bump really hard (one off)

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by M.A.94, May 15, 2017.

1. M.A.94

M.A.94 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
    So today on my way home I had an embracing encounter with a very big speed bump. I normally look out for bumps and pot holes and always aim to swerve away from them of its safe to do so. This one caught me off guard it was a dark road and I missed it.

Anyways I was driving pretty fast and drove straight over it. I immediately pulled over checked all my tyres and give the wheels checked the wheels for play.

I was wondering if doing this as a one off would cause any significant harm to my car. It is a 16 year old car so I would imagine some of the suspension components are a lot weaker than newer cars.

Such an embracing experience absolutely gutted!!!!

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Obviously it's not possible to say for certain without inspecting the underside of the car, but the most likely answer is that nothing happened.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    M.A.94

Car:
    Thanks. I don't have any vibrations driving at motorway speeds car seems to steer the way it did and its not pulling to one side. I think I'll just have the wheel alignment checked next time I'm due tyres and just hope for the best in the mean time

4. MarkACLS

MarkACLS Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 W212 E63 AMG 5.5 BiTurbo
    Keep checking the tyre for damage. Look for any bulges that may appear on the sidewall, which may indicate belt failure. I'd also suggest you have the wheel checked for buckling. It's relatively easy to damage a Mercedes wheel, but you may be lucky due to having a larger sectional width tyre than a more modern car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    M.A.94

Car:
    Brilliant will look over the tyres again in the day light. Thank you

6. OneForTheRoad

OneForTheRoad Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 w204 c class amg sport premium +65 ford kuga 2.0 cdi zetec awd..
    id be more concerned about my teeth . :D

7. saff

saff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220 CDI Avantgarde W246 B180 CDI Sport
    ^^^
    Why, were they in the glove box? ;-)

8. kid-jensen

kid-jensen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    So long as there's nothing obvious with tyre bulges, wobble at speed etc, you probably got away with it..

You'll just have a few more rattles!

9. french

french Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi TT RS 2.5 , Zanussi Wd12: - LG Combi Multiwave - Swan 9 slice toaster with removable crumb tray
    I had a kerb/pothole type bump at around 25mph...few weeks later the Airmatic warning started showing, eventually I realised the Electro-damper had been damaged & a new strut was needed.

10. Freedom

Freedom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes Benz CLS350 06'

I would also advise to check properly your oil sump for any damage and/or leaks. Like everyone said, keep an eye on your car for anything that is not a normal behaviour ;)

11. mattc43

mattc43 Active Member

Car:
    Probably best i don't say, but love the forum so lurking about!
    As others have said, unless there is damage to the tyre, you will probably be okay. Especially if the impact was square on, both wheels at the same time.

When you go around Millbrook proving ground and you see the 'kerbs' area where they test cars by, well, literally driving them into pretty high blocks, pretty fast, you understand that cars can put up with quite a lot. The instructor who took me round said it is sickening the noises some cars make, but most do okay.

12. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
    You know when you've hit a bump hard when your central door locking unlocks, as in an accident. Had this a couple of times on my last set of wheels.

13. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R172 SLK 55AMG , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    I did the same in my E320 cdi. All seemed ok at the time but 200 miles later and 150 miles from home it broke a front spring. Had both replaced and I am sure the 30 mph speed bump was the cause

14. OP
    OP
    M.A.94

Car:
    Right I've came to a conclusion everything is fine for now at least.

For those who have seen my other posts will be aware that I've been researching into different suspension setups and more than likely my next job on the car will be h&r shocks and springs.. for this reason I can take the springs and shocks out of my worries :D

15. mj2k

mj2k Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
    You're lucky - I hit a speedbump at around 30 in my W210, broke a front spring and bent a springhanger!

Just about sorted after a set of new springs, a springhanger and a lot of welding, so you were either pretty lucky, or your suspension was in pretty good condition to begin with.

Tags: