Hitting a bump really hard (one off)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
So today on my way home I had an embracing encounter with a very big speed bump. I normally look out for bumps and pot holes and always aim to swerve away from them of its safe to do so. This one caught me off guard it was a dark road and I missed it.

Anyways I was driving pretty fast and drove straight over it. I immediately pulled over checked all my tyres and give the wheels checked the wheels for play.

I was wondering if doing this as a one off would cause any significant harm to my car. It is a 16 year old car so I would imagine some of the suspension components are a lot weaker than newer cars.

Such an embracing experience absolutely gutted!!!!

So today on my way home I had an embracing encounter with a very big speed bump. I normally look out for bumps and pot holes and always aim to swerve away from them of its safe to do so. This one caught me off guard it was a dark road and I missed it.

Anyways I was driving pretty fast and drove straight over it. I immediately pulled over checked all my tyres and give the wheels checked the wheels for play.

I was wondering if doing this as a one off would cause any significant harm to my car. It is a 16 year old car so I would imagine some of the suspension components are a lot weaker than newer cars.

Such an embracing experience absolutely gutted!!!!

Obviously it's not possible to say for certain without inspecting the underside of the car, but the most likely answer is that nothing happened.

Thanks. I don't have any vibrations driving at motorway speeds car seems to steer the way it did and its not pulling to one side. I think I'll just have the wheel alignment checked next time I'm due tyres and just hope for the best in the mean time

Keep checking the tyre for damage. Look for any bulges that may appear on the sidewall, which may indicate belt failure. I'd also suggest you have the wheel checked for buckling. It's relatively easy to damage a Mercedes wheel, but you may be lucky due to having a larger sectional width tyre than a more modern car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Brilliant will look over the tyres again in the day light. Thank you

id be more concerned about my teeth . :D

^^^
Why, were they in the glove box? ;-)

So long as there's nothing obvious with tyre bulges, wobble at speed etc, you probably got away with it..

You'll just have a few more rattles!

I had a kerb/pothole type bump at around 25mph...few weeks later the Airmatic warning started showing, eventually I realised the Electro-damper had been damaged & a new strut was needed.

Brilliant will look over the tyres again in the day light. Thank you

I would also advise to check properly your oil sump for any damage and/or leaks. Like everyone said, keep an eye on your car for anything that is not a normal behaviour ;)

As others have said, unless there is damage to the tyre, you will probably be okay. Especially if the impact was square on, both wheels at the same time.

When you go around Millbrook proving ground and you see the 'kerbs' area where they test cars by, well, literally driving them into pretty high blocks, pretty fast, you understand that cars can put up with quite a lot. The instructor who took me round said it is sickening the noises some cars make, but most do okay.

You know when you've hit a bump hard when your central door locking unlocks, as in an accident. Had this a couple of times on my last set of wheels.

I did the same in my E320 cdi. All seemed ok at the time but 200 miles later and 150 miles from home it broke a front spring. Had both replaced and I am sure the 30 mph speed bump was the cause

Right I've came to a conclusion everything is fine for now at least.

For those who have seen my other posts will be aware that I've been researching into different suspension setups and more than likely my next job on the car will be h&r shocks and springs.. for this reason I can take the springs and shocks out of my worries :D

You're lucky - I hit a speedbump at around 30 in my W210, broke a front spring and bent a springhanger!

Just about sorted after a set of new springs, a springhanger and a lot of welding, so you were either pretty lucky, or your suspension was in pretty good condition to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom