Hitting the rev limiter with an auto box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
I've noticed this happening a couple of times recently, I've hit the rev limiter even though the auto box is in D, and I haven't used the tiptronic.

Each time its happened I've been slowing down at a junction or roundabout, then seen it was clear and put my foot down. The car kicks down into first and will revs up until it hits the rev limiter, then it takes a second or two before it changes to second and the car accelerates again. In that couple of seconds the car is just hitting the rev limiter and not accelerating.

Doesn't seem right to me that the auto box should allow the rev limiter to be hit, even when using the tipfunction it will change gear automatically well before the red.

Have anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Originally posted by RichardM
Doesn't seem right to me that the auto box should allow the rev limiter to be hit, even when using the tipfunction it will change gear automatically well before the red.
Have anyone else experienced this?

Don't forget your accelerator is not like anyone elses mate.

It is fly-by-wire and computer operated. you are obviously beating the system for that second and then the computer goes " Oh dear he has changed his Bl##dy mind again" and corrects it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I still think it shouldn't allow the rev limiter to be hit, especially when its just left in Drive. Its quite slow to react as well once the limiter has been hit, takes what feels like a couple of seconds before it changes to second.

Richard,

That's definitely not right IMHO - the shift should be quicker than you are describing, and shouldn't hit the limiter without changing.

I know there was some redesigned software for the C32 gearbox - it wasn't the same problem, and I won't bore you with the detail.

But what was interesting was that MB didn't recall any cars, they just changed the software for those who complained long and loud - much cheaper! There will always be those who don't notice or complain.

It only became public knowledge when someone posted the info - so all those in the know went and demanded it! Had to be ordered, but then just plugged in.

It is also possible for the programming currently installed to be checked and re-calibrated, but from chatting to my friendly tech, it's a very long and tedious process - he showed me the instructions which looked like half a day of road test setting up all the changes up and down in specific conditions - he didn't recommend it, but it can be done.

Maybe zerocool knows more?

Anyway, I'd get down to the dealers and start complaining :(

Good luck :)

Originally posted by Guy
Richard,

Anyway, I'd get down to the dealers and start complaining :(

Good luck :)

Richard need Good Luck with his "Dealer".:p :mad: :p

off topic a bit , but something ive noticed with the tip auto box is when the car is holding onto the gear , if you tip up it changes ;)

The things i do to keep the revs down :rolleyes: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Thanks for the response guys. It going back to the dealers soon for a new ECU (which the dealer says will solve all my problems from door locking, auto wipers to stereo and cruise control) so I'll mention it and see what they say. Only happens when the car kicks down into 1st whilst still moving but that happens once or twice a week, could be dangerous if I was pulling out in front of something.

Tell you what Richard, that W211 will be a cracking car when it's finished! :p ;) :rolleyes:

My old Alfa 156 Selespeed used to exactly the same, the dealer never did cure it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom